"Bilingual Brussels" Brussels by smirnofforiginal
Brussels Travel Guide: 5,744 reviews and 12,280 photos
Brussels is officially bilingual - both Flemish and Frnech speaking.
Allegedly back in AD 695 St Gery (a Bishop) built a chapel but nothing was recorded until AD 966.
In AD 979 Charles, Duke of Lorraine, built a fortress and a settlement developed which grew and evolved and by 1100 Brussels was an administrative hub with it's own fortified wall.
In 1229 Henri I, Duke of Brabant published the first Brussels charter and for the following 2 centuries the dukes of Brabant continued to rule.
In 1482 the Hasburgs came into power and the Emperor, Charles V, used Brussels as the capital of his (large) kingdom.
Philip II took over rule but ruled frm Spain - The Grand Place became the execution ground for the thousand who were given the death sentance.
Louis XVI's French army bombarded Brussels in 1695, destroying 400 houses and much of the Grand Place.
In the 18th century the Austrian's ruled and constructed many squares (includeing Palace Square) and did lot s of building in the Upper Town.
Following the French Revolution the Austrians were forced out and Belgium was in the hands of the French until 1815 when Napolean was defeated. Belgium was then, along with Luxembourg, incorporated into the Netherlands. The people of Brussels (at this point around about 100,000 residents) revolted in 1830, Belgium became an independent country and Brussels became the capital.
After WWII Brussels bcame the hq of NATO and went on to become the hq of the EU.
It is VERY quick and easy to get the train from Brussels to Ghent or Bruges on day trips. Two beautiful cities - both a... more travel advice
This is a slice of greenery in the heart of the inner city. The park is old and formal and enjoys the location of the... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Brussels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than a decade in Brussels"
- "Say Brussels?? K! let's go to find The Soul"
- "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
- "BRUXELLES - BRUSSEL - BRUSSELS"
- "Brussels, Capital of Belgium"
- "Bruxelles, ma belle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brussels
- Hotels in Brussels
- Transportation in Brussels
- Nightlife in Brussels
- Restaurants in Brussels
- Shopping in Brussels
- Warnings and Dangers in Brussels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brussels
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brussels
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos