"a history lesson" Villers-devant-Orval by smirnofforiginal
Villers-devant-Orval Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 91 photos
The earliest acheological remains date back t the Franks.
The first oratory is built in the 10th century.
The first monks (Benedictines from Italy) arrive in 1070.
In 1132 with a group of monks sent by St Bernanr, Orval becomes a Cistercian monastery. The monastery is rebuilt several times up until the 18th century.
(A new monastery was built in the centre of the valley but this is raised to the ground in 1793 by troops of the French Revolution).
Throughout the 19th century Orval remained a ruin.
In 1926 the Cistercian-Trappist monks returned and under Father Marie-Albert Van der Cruyssen and set about the construction of the present monastery
Within the abbey there is a shop, as this abbey is famous for its beer - which it still makes and exports worldwide -... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Villers-devant-Orval Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monastery Our Lady of Orval"
- "a history lesson"
- "Orval (in progress)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villers-devant-Orval
- Hotels in Villers-devant-Orval
- Shopping in Villers-devant-Orval
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villers-devant-Orval
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Villers-devant-Orval?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villers-devant-Orval
Photos in Villers-devant-OrvalSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos