"Kimmeridge = Kimmeridigian stage of Jurassic" Kimmeridge by smirnofforiginal

Kimmeridge Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 90 photos

old!

Kimmeridge is part of the Jurassic coastline which is English Heritage.
You have the triassic period (the oldest of the 3), the Jurassic (which is the middle period) and the cretaceous (the youngest of the 3).

The Jurassic period is divided into the lower, middle and upper series.
The upper series of the Jurassic period has 3 stages. Kimmeridigian is the 2nd stage and the reason I am telling yout his is not to further your intellect but because it is thus named after Kimmeridge,, this tiny, English village!
For this information to mean anythng to us at all, let me tell you that the Kimmeridigian stage is where we first see ammonites.

Please be very careful around the cliffs at Kimmeridge - the cliffs to the right (as you enter the beach) were crumbling before my eyes and the sounds of ever cascading grains of millions of year old dirt was a constant reminder!

So, as you enter the beach and hang right you will immediately be presented with a platform which is apparently called a 'wave-cut platform' and known here at Kimmeridge as The Flats.... et voila - you have entered an eerie scene from the world that time forgot!
Walking on The Flats you just KNOW, you can feel you are walking oon history itself... and underneath your feet there is no lack of evidence to back up your thoughts! Please be careful this rock is VERY slippery - like oil when wet and with a deadly mixture of sea weed...

My personal comment

The thing I loved the most about Kimmeridge was the complete solitude I found when I arrived there.
No hoardes of tourists.
No shops and sellers.
Just me!
Me alone with 185 millions years worth of memories.
Something old, yet prestine to show my children... LOOK this IS how it all began. This IS where is all began. These are left from life before time and our footprints now have become part of this vast and wonderous history!

NB. You are not allowed to use hammers to try to collect fossils here. Fossill hunting is not permitted... and rightly so... let is have peace.

• Pros:beautiful
  • Cons:you will need your own wheels
  • In a nutshell:if I had but time to listen to all the stories this place could tell...
  • Last visit to Kimmeridge: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 15, 2010

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2012 at 6:45 AM

As a recovering geologist, the Kimmeridge Clay is an echo from my undergrad days, but I had never given its type location a thought ... Thanks for filling in this gap in my education, and having had a ball fossicking with the kids at Charmouth a few years ago, I think that this is well worth considering as part of a Jurassic Coast Reprise trip!
    Regards
    Cathy

smirnofforiginal

“Enter, traveller, into this immensity”

Badges & Stats in Kimmeridge

Have you been to Kimmeridge?