"Church-Farm-Convent" Kirkjubæjarklaustur by smirnofforiginal
Kirkjubæjarklaustur Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 58 photos
It is a small village but it is a lovely, lovely place with a very nice vibe about it. It is between Vik and Hofn and really does not have a lot to it but I preferred it out of the three.
To one side Kirkjubaejarklaustur has dramatic cliffs with twinkling waterfalls, to its other side is the river Skaftá.
Before the Vikings arrived Irish monks settled here making them the first inhabitants.
a little something of possible interest: In the 18th century Laki errupted. The lava field (Eldraun) is, approx, a staggering 12m thick, contains over 12 cubic km of lave and covers 565 square km. It is the largest lava flow from a single eruption!
Having left Hella the night before, Kirkjubaejarklaustur made for the perfect place in terms of distance to stay the night.
From Kirkjubaejarklaustur it is very easy to get to the vast, soul-destroying sandars and to Skftafell. more travel advice
Two nuns were executed and buried here because they slept with the devil! Also, the church (Steingrímsson Memorial... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Kirkjubæjarklaustur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KIRKJUBÆJARKLAUSTUR VILLAGE IN SOUTH-ICELAND"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kirkjubæjarklaustur
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Kirkjubæjarklaustur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kirkjubæjarklaustur
Photos in KirkjubæjarklausturSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos