"Gorgeous Goreme" Goreme by smirnofforiginal
Goreme Travel Guide: 514 reviews and 1,588 photos
The area between Kayseri and Nevsehir (in central Anatolia) is Cappadocia and Goreme makes for a great place to base yourself in order to explore.
The area, Cappadocia, was formed when, 2000 years ago, 3 volcanoes; Mount Erciyes, Mount Hasan and Mount Melendiz errupted. An area of approximately 20,000 km2 was covered in all that was spewwed out - ash and lava. Soft rocks were formed and the elements, namely wind and water, eroded this rocks, leaving a hard cap on the top - this is how the strange, surreal landscapes came into being....and what wonderful landscape is it... chimneys rising from the ground...
Beautiful twisted, white valleys & towering, surreal structures make for a strange and dreamlike environment.
Goreme has plenty of places to stay (especially cave hotels), plenty of places to eat (with roof terraces for beautiful sunset vistas), there are shops and most things, tours and activities can be arranged from here... but it is still possible to enjoy the feeling, in and around Gorem, of getting away from it all and having peace.
This beautiful valley, between Goreme and Cavusin gets its name from the colour of the rock formations. The standard... more travel advice
A UNESCO World Heritage Site... but beware the tours!!! If you are on a tour you will have a timed and speedy trip... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Goreme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MAGICAL CAPPADOCIA!"
- "Göreme and Cappadocia"
- "Goreme Open-Air Museum"
- "The magical, fantasy world of Kapadokya"
- "Goreme and Cappadocia"
- "For those who into art history"
- "out of this world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goreme
- Hotels in Goreme
- Transportation in Goreme
- Nightlife in Goreme
- Restaurants in Goreme
- Shopping in Goreme
- Warnings and Dangers in Goreme
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goreme
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Goreme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goreme
Photos in GoremeSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos