"Medieval Loches" Loches by smirnofforiginal
Loches Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 76 photos
It has cobbled streets and an 11th century keep perched on a rocky spur.
It is here in Loches that Joan of Arc persuaded Charles VII to march north back in June 1429 to be crowned.
Charles VII royal court here was notorious for wild banquets, mainly thrown in attempts to woo Agnes Sorel, a royal mistress. She died aged 28 and her tomb is in Loches.
In 1461 Louis XI's ascension to the thrones saw the keep turn into a state prison. Prisoners were tortured in the Round Tower and Matlet in a cage that weighed 2.5 tons.
The citadel sits on the banks of the River Indre.
There's not a huge amount to do in Loches. We were pleased we were only having the one night here.
- Pros:the citadel is like a scene out of a film
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Loches Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Amorous Escape in an Old Fortress"
- "A great t(r)ip!"
- "Loches - Century old Fortified Town"
- "Medieval city of Loches"
- "I can't resist a tower"
- "Medieval Loches"
- "Pretty and off the beaten track"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Loches
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Loches?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Loches
Photos in LochesSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (30)
Latest Loches hotel reviews
- George Sand
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2012
- Pierre & Vacances Le Moulin Des Cordeliers Residence Loches
- 1 Review & Opinion