"one can never have enough Taj snow keyrings!" Agra by smirnofforiginal
Agra Travel Guide: 1,118 reviews and 3,663 photos
Famous for it's gleaming mausoleum, Agra sits on a bend on the Yamuna River.
There is much to be said about Agra - it's history, the incredible things the Moghul empire left behind but I shall write what I found, as a traveller...
The first sight I saw in Agra was a dead camel on the steps to the compound in which the Taj sits. Doubtlessly, ten minutes earlier this camel would have pulled a tourist down the park's pathway to the ticket office for what is probably inarguably the most beautiful and most famous tributes to the dead - the Taj Mahal - a mausoleum derived from love but built because of death. I wonder how much love the camel knew in it's life role as beast of burden....
The streets were lined with hawkers and touts. People agressive for my rupees. I could not move without yet another person trying to coax me into parting with my paper funds. Because of this walking the streets was not pleasurable - it was a chore.... and surely, surely the good people of Agra can come up with something better than a plastic snow globe keyring of the Taj!!!??? I actually purchased two of the things (neither of which actually did the whole snowing effect bit of what a snow globe is meant to do) and I hung them onto my childrens rucksacks to show the world and his wife that we had them .... but we still apparently needed more. Apparently one can never have enough Taj Mahal snow globe keyrings!
An UNESCO World Heritage Site, Fatehpur Sikri, lies 40km from Agra and was once the capital of the Mughal Empire - from... more travel advice
Stop off in Dholpur. It is a lovely, agricultural village that does not see many tourists. The people were friendly.... more travel advice
smirnofforiginal's Related Pages
Agra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Agra"
- "World of the Wonders"
- "Another Agra"
- "Agra - City of Taj Mahal and Agra Fort"
- "Red Fort"
- ">> eternal love of TAJ "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Agra
- Hotels in Agra
- Transportation in Agra
- Nightlife in Agra
- Restaurants in Agra
- Shopping in Agra
- Warnings and Dangers in Agra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Agra
- 8 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Agra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Agra
- Posted in Travel Republic of Serbia Forum "Re: Border crossing at Donji..."
- Commented on one of smirnofforiginal's Agra travel pages
- Wrote a Review Deserted Moghal capital about Fatehpur Sikri in Agra Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Deserted Moghal capital"
- updated a Agra Travel Page "one can never have enough Taj snow keyrings!"
Photos in AgraSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 77 reviews, 158 photos
- Kiev Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- Namibia Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 34 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos