"entering a land of tale..." Königswinter by Agatho
Königswinter Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 28 photos
Königswinter is a town and summer resort in the Rhein-Sieg district, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
It is situated on the right bank of the Rhine, opposite the Bonn, at the foot of the Siebengebirge.
The romantic Drachenfels, crowned by the ruins of a castle built early in the 12th century by the archbishop of Cologne, rises behind the town. From the summit, which can be accessed by the Drachenfels Railway, there is a magnificent view, celebrated by Lord Byron in Childe Harold's Pilgrimage. The mountain is quarried, and from 1267 onward supplied stone (trachyte) for the building of Cologne cathedral.
The castle of Drachenburg, built in 1883, is on the north side of the hill.
Königswinter has a Roman Catholic (St. Remigius) and an Evangelical church, some small manufactures and a little shipping. It has a monument to the poet Wolfgang Müller.
Near the town are the ruins of the Abbey of Heisterbach.
One German legend recounts, that Siegfried – the hero of the Nibelungenlied – killed a dragon living in a cave in the mountain. After taking a bath in its blood, he became invulnerable. According to the legend, the dragon lived on that mountain, hence the mountain is named Drachenfels.
Agatho's Related Pages
Königswinter Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seven dwarfs and a great river"
- "German gentility on the banks of the Rhine"
- "Eszter's Konigswinter Page"
- "entering a land of tale..."
- "Königswinter, DE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Königswinter
- Transportation in Königswinter
- Restaurants in Königswinter
- Warnings and Dangers in Königswinter
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Königswinter
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Königswinter?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Königswinter
Top 10 Pages
- Mogosoaia Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Piatra Neamt Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Judetul Neamt Intro, 3 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arad Intro, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Constanta Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bucharest Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Brühl Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Bonn Intro, 3 photos
- Düsseldorf Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Cologne Intro, 1 review, 1 photo