"The Biggest Aquarium in Japan" Oarai by joiwatani
Oarai Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 41 photos
Visit Oarai. This is a city close to the ocean where there's a lot of people surfing during the summer time and even brave surfing during the winter time. This city has the Aquaworld, one of the biggest aquarium in Japan.
In the aquarium, you will be entertained by dolphins and sea lion tricks. These were trained to do some jumping on hoops and some swimming techniques.
You will really enjoy seeing them how smart they are.
You will also see the different winter animals like the penguins. There are some feeding time of the animals and it is wonderful to see the animals come out from their hiding places. There are many things to do for children at the aquarium, too.
The aquarium was not busy as compared to other seasons when I was there which was the month of November. There were a lot of local Japanese tourists. They were waiting for the performance of the dolphins and the sea lion.
The entrance fee to the aquarium is Y1800 for adults. It opens from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Check for other special events of the aquarium at www.aquaworld-oaria.com or call 02--267-5151.
Going to Oarai was such a nice experience for me and the drive going to Ibaraki Prefectural Oarai Aquarium gave me the the first hand experience of the lifestyle of the Japanese people living in a provincial town. I also saw a lot of activities of the Japanese residents on their regular busy day.
The drive to Oarai was exhilirating and envigorating! The roads snaked through the beaches and cuts through different towns. We stopped at several stalls on the road, experienced eating barbecued seafoods, saw local residents do their regular day-to-day life acitivities despite the coldness of the weather.
Read more: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1da9fb/#ixzz1fZrd2AFo
This stuffed fish is at the main lobby of the aquarium. I am not sure what kind of fish this is, but it was sure big!
The aquarium has a lot of tropical display. They also have a variety of winter penguins!
- Pros:The drive is great. So much to see in the country!
- Cons:Very expensive entrance fee!
- In a nutshell:It is such a pleasure to go to Oarai and eating at local road stops.
There are so many choices here. You can have any sushi you like. However, it is very expensive! We opted for the... more travel advice
The Oarai Aquarium is huge! They have a lot of collection of sharks. However, they don't maintain the big sharks. I... more travel advice
joiwatani's Related Pages
Oarai Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Oarai
- Restaurants in Oarai
- Shopping in Oarai
- Warnings and Dangers in Oarai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oarai
- 12 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Oarai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oarai
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues