"The Tallest Buddha in the world!" Ushiku by joiwatani
Ushiku Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 163 photos
The Ushiku Daibutsu is one of the attractions in Ibaraki, Japan. This statue was built for about 10 years because it is so tall- it is even taller than the Statue of Liberty in New York City!
While we were driving going to the Ushiku Daibutsu, I can see the head of the Buddha above the tall bamboo trees! The buddha has an elevator that lifts tourists all the way to the fifth floor which is the head of the Buddha. In it's head, there is a lookout where you can see the whole surrounding of Ushiku. The eyes of the Buddha are actually the lookout. And, so with the two ears of the Buddha.
You can go up to 85 m above the ground taking the elevator.
In comparison, Daibutsu of Nara is 14.9 m high, that is to say, Daibutsu of Nara can be on the Palm of Ushiku Daibutsu!
Facts about the Ushiku Daibutsu:
The gross weight: 4, 000 tons
Palm of left hand: 18.0 meters
Length of the face: 20 meters
Length of the eye: 2.5 meters
Length of the mouth: 4 meters
Height of the nose: 1.2 meters
Length of the ear: 10 meters
Index finger: 7 meters.
The great image of Amida Buddha, which stand in the center of the Jodo Teien garden is 120 meters high symbolic of the 12 beams of light said to emanate from Amida's body and reach throught the world. Standing upon a lotus blossom, Amida's feet are poised to signify his vow to step forward and search out all those who are lost withn the impure world with its five defilements. In turn, the position of Amida's hands symbolize his acceptance of all sentient beings without exception!
April through November
Garden & Animal Park of squirrels and rabbits
Adult: 500 yen Child: 300 yean
Admission to see the whole parts, including inside the stature of Buddha.
Adult: 800 yen Child: 400 yen
December through March
Garden & Animal park of squirrels and rabbits:
Adult: 400 yen Child: 200 yen
Admission to see the whole parts, inlcuding inside the statue of Buddha.
Adult: 700 yen Child 400 uen
The beginning of May only ticket for the whole parts will be available. Party ticket is avalable.
Ticket for handicapped person is also available.
Open 365 days.
I was told that it is beautiful to visit the Buddha during the spring time. I visited the Buddha in November which is Fall but it is still absolutely beautiful and amazing. However, I missed the flowers in spring time!
There are so many bonsai trees around the buddha including bamboo trees and well-trimmed bushes. To walk around the buddha is refreshing and spiritual...
There is also a pond where there are thousands of kois and you can feed them...
Getting inside the Buddha's head is so spiritual. I mean, get inside the head of the building...There is a temple inside where you can pray, make wishes and if you are not spiritual, just reflect on whatever you want to reflect.
There are many wishes I made inside the Buddha! I think most of my wishes came true! There is only one I am waiting for - to get a good paying job that I like and that I absolutely craved for!
Yes, yes, yes! Wishes, wishes, wishes...Prayers, prayers, prayers...
Visit the Buddha and your wishes and prayers will come true!
- Pros:The building is so fascinating, you wonder how it was buildt!
- Cons:We missed the spring flower garden because I went there in November!
- In a nutshell:Make sure to respect the customs and traditions of the Japanese visiting the Buddha...
To my knowledge, I am not sure if there are public transportation that come to this tourist destination. I apologize but... more travel advice
I just found out that I did my tips backwards. Do you know why? Because you don't really go to the first floor first.... more travel advice
joiwatani's Related Pages
Ushiku Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Tallest Buddha in the world!"
- "Utsukushiku Ushiku (Dedicated to my VTFriend G_G)"
- "Neighboring City On Tsukuba"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ushiku
- Transportation in Ushiku
- Warnings and Dangers in Ushiku
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ushiku
- 15 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Ushiku?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ushiku
Photos in UshikuSee All Photos (133)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues