"The Tallest Buddha in the world!" Ushiku by joiwatani

Ushiku Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 163 photos

The Ushiku Daibutsu!

The Ushiku Daibutsu is one of the attractions in Ibaraki, Japan. This statue was built for about 10 years because it is so tall- it is even taller than the Statue of Liberty in New York City!

While we were driving going to the Ushiku Daibutsu, I can see the head of the Buddha above the tall bamboo trees! The buddha has an elevator that lifts tourists all the way to the fifth floor which is the head of the Buddha. In it's head, there is a lookout where you can see the whole surrounding of Ushiku. The eyes of the Buddha are actually the lookout. And, so with the two ears of the Buddha.

You can go up to 85 m above the ground taking the elevator.

In comparison, Daibutsu of Nara is 14.9 m high, that is to say, Daibutsu of Nara can be on the Palm of Ushiku Daibutsu!

Facts about the Ushiku Daibutsu:

Length of the mouth: 4 meters
Height of the nose: 1.2 meters
Length of the ear: 10 meters
Index finger: 7 meters.

The great image of Amida Buddha, which stand in the center of the Jodo Teien garden is 120 meters high symbolic of the 12 beams of light said to emanate from Amida's body and reach throught the world. Standing upon a lotus blossom, Amida's feet are poised to signify his vow to step forward and search out all those who are lost withn the impure world with its five defilements. In turn, the position of Amida's hands symbolize his acceptance of all sentient beings without exception!

Admission fee:
April through November
Garden & Animal Park of squirrels and rabbits
Adult: 500 yen Child: 300 yean
Admission to see the whole parts, including inside the stature of Buddha.
Adult: 800 yen Child: 400 yen

December through March
Garden & Animal park of squirrels and rabbits:
Adult: 400 yen Child: 200 yen
Admission to see the whole parts, inlcuding inside the statue of Buddha.
Adult: 700 yen Child 400 uen

The beginning of May only ticket for the whole parts will be available. Party ticket is avalable.

Ticket for handicapped person is also available.

Open 365 days.

The landscape around the Buddha is pretty!

I was told that it is beautiful to visit the Buddha during the spring time. I visited the Buddha in November which is Fall but it is still absolutely beautiful and amazing. However, I missed the flowers in spring time!

There are so many bonsai trees around the buddha including bamboo trees and well-trimmed bushes. To walk around the buddha is refreshing and spiritual...

There is also a pond where there are thousands of kois and you can feed them...

Exciting to be inside Buddha's Head!

Getting inside the Buddha's head is so spiritual. I mean, get inside the head of the building...There is a temple inside where you can pray, make wishes and if you are not spiritual, just reflect on whatever you want to reflect.

There are many wishes I made inside the Buddha! I think most of my wishes came true! There is only one I am waiting for - to get a good paying job that I like and that I absolutely craved for!

Yes, yes, yes! Wishes, wishes, wishes...Prayers, prayers, prayers...

Visit the Buddha and your wishes and prayers will come true!

• Pros:The building is so fascinating, you wonder how it was buildt!
  • Cons:We missed the spring flower garden because I went there in November!
  • In a nutshell:Make sure to respect the customs and traditions of the Japanese visiting the Buddha...
  • Last visit to Ushiku: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 16, 2008

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Great tips Jo!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 11:30 AM

What a beautiful place and you've taken some wonderful photographs. Nice page!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 5:45 AM

really interesting stuff - great page

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Hehehe...a Buddha TOE! I will hitt that gong really hard!!! We are here in El Paso, Texas right now, Jo and we are just about to swim in the hotel pool...we've driven 1100 miles already! My poor car! Hehehe

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM

One of the spots I wasn't able to see when I visited Japan to my regret. Marvelous page - makes me wish I had gone there.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Jo, what an amazing place.Great general tip. Found the size of the Buddah astounding. Enjoyed learned about how the Buddah was financed. Unedited travelogue was terric.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Thanks for introducing us to this amazing place, which I had never heard of before. The statue is really awesome, but I find its size rather terrifying. A very interesting page.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 3:51 AM

Great page Jo.Congrats.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 11:53 PM

Hi Jo - i'm working for a Japanese company in Belgium. I like Japanes traditions and etiquette Greetz and have a nice and happy 2009

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Construction of the buddha is a must see. This process should be very interesting. Ushiku will be one of the places that I have to visit in Japan.

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Ushiku