"Vancouver,the best neighbor city of the USA!" Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver by joiwatani

Vancouver Travel Guide: 3,957 reviews and 8,257 photos

Very multi-ethnic, diversed community!

There is something unique about Canada: the multi-diversed people, the flowers are so bright and beautiful, the stores are incredible, and the people are warm and loving. I just love Canada!

I have been to Vancouver, Canada many times. When I feel like eating "Hambao", "Wonton Soup" or just any Chinese food and eat "Lanzones" or "Atis" (Filipino fruits), I drive to Vancouver. Or, if my husband wanted to smoke a good Cuban cigar, we drive to Vancouver. (We can't buy Cuban cigar in the United States because of the trade embargo).

Yes, we are not that far. Vancouver is our neighboring city! It's about a three-hour drive from Seattle.

I also go to Canada to shop for my favorite tea from China, favorite fruits from the Philippines and my favorite perfume from France!!!

Canada is well-known to Washingtonians because of its array of Asian markets of fruits and vegetables and restaurants at the China town and the International District. It is a delight to find the most exquisite fruits from Asia in Vancouver!

The international market of Vancouver is the best! The Chinese restaurants are great. They are comparable to Hong Kong. Guess what, the Hong Kong people come here. It's their vacation-destination! If they get tired living in Hong Kong, they just come and live here! The actors and actresses in Hong Kong come here for their medical treatments. They even own houses here!

The Canadian people are warm and loving. They are very welcoming. This is the place where you can see people all over the world. The most common ones besides the Chinese from Hong Kong are the Indians from India and the Filipinos.

The most parks visited here is the Stanley Park and the Queen Elizabeth Park. Both of these parks have beautiful gardens. The other one is the Capilano Bridge. The bridge is so huge and strong that it can actually hold seven Boeing 747!

What are the places to see in Vancouver?
1. Stanley Park
13. Robson Square
14. Aquatic Centre
15. Sunset Beach
16. Vancouver Maritime Museum

You can also side-trip to Victoria

Take pictures at the border!

While waiting for the long lines of cars getting into the boarder of Canada, you can actually get out from your car and take some pictures of the welcome sign of Canada. Just the gate park alone is beautifully planted with beautiful colorful flowers! It is such welcoming to see the flowers in bloom - marigolds, sylvians, begonias. I also love the Japanese maple trees! The flag of Canada with its famous maple leaf is lying flat on the ground planted with red and white begonias clustered together. This is actually seen at the front gate of the Canadian boarder.

The Queen Elizabeth Park

Queen Elizabeth Park is beautiful. The park has a lot of statues and architectural designs.

The Canadians are well known to take care of their parks and gardens! The flowers are always in bloom! I am not sure how they do it, but even the silvias, the marigolds and zinnias looked taller and prettier when their gardeners take care of them!

• Pros:A beautiful country to visit!
  • Cons:The boarder coming back to the USA is strict!
  • In a nutshell:Vancouver is a nice place to visit and live. The people are friendliest!
  • Last visit to Vancouver: Jan 2013
  • Intro Updated Jan 12, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2012 at 2:13 AM

What really surprised me here was that the border controls on the US-Canadian border have gotten so tight. I haven’t crossed that border for many years, but back then there was little or no checking of documents. Often they just waved you through. On canoe trips between Minnesota and Ontario we didn’t even know where the border was, so we could just paddle back and forth as we pleased.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
      Jan 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

There's a lot of drug trafficking here that's why. I was just here last week and the road coming back to the United States was like zig-zag. So hard to follow and irritating...Not sure why they made is so difficult!

• DAO's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Happy Birthday Jo !!!!

• Apr 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Just want to know what months exactly do they have lanzones and atis...

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Hi Jo. I'm glad your surgery went well. Thanks for those wonderful comments about Canadians.' Diane

• lomi's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Woo! that is some picture of the bridge. I loved your pages. I cant wait to revisit (my last trip was pre digital cameras!), its one of my favourite places.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Thanks for very good Vancouver Page.I hope see you here.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Wow Jo, beautiful page here....I've never been, but hopefully I can make it here sooner, rather than later :)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2009 at 6:03 AM

never been to vancover, but looks likeone great city.

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Brings back memory of my trip to Vacouver which was about 18 years ago ...wow ...

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Jo - nice you live near vancouver and also near Alaska! I got you a magnet by the way and a postcard -- will send later...Norman :)

joiwatani Visits Here Frequently!

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Vancouver

Have you been to Vancouver?

Photos in Vancouver