Seattle Local Custom Tips by joiwatani Top 5 Page for this destination
Seattle Local Customs: 100 reviews and 103 photos
VT Meeting at Marrakesh Restaurant in Seattle
It is best to make reservations to restaurants in Seattle especially in fine dining especially on Fridays and Saturdays. People in Seattle like to go dining on Fridays after work.
There are more than 4,000 millionaires in the City of Seattle and two billionaires. But, one of the things that you will notice in Seattle is that you will not see any rich people flashing and showing off their wealth.
Most of the people here got rich because of the "dot coms" (computers and websites) and they rather donate their money to the community, hospitals, good causes, non-profit organizations, etc. rather than splurging on luxurious and expensive things.
Bill and Melinda Gates not only donate to the whole world through their Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation but they are also benefactors to the Children's Hospital, University of Washington, Woodland Park Zoo, etc.
Most of the hospitals in Seattle and nearby towns have lump sum donations from millionaires and billionaires.
Paul Allen, another billionaire, established the Music Museum Project so he can share his love of music to the public.
Most of the millionaires here have passions of great causes and spend their money on saving lives and making the earth a better place to live in.
As a resident here, I had seen many millionaires and interacted with them. Only few have big egos and they don't flash their wealth by getting nice cars, yachts, planes or live in outrageously luxurious mansions! Most of their passions on their down time is having to get their commercial pilot's license!
The Torchlight Parade, July 25, 2009
Every year, the residents of Seattle pack their coolers, folding chairs, quilts and go to downtown Seattle to watch the Seafair Parade.
The Seafair Parade is the start of the many activities and events throughout Seattle for the summer. It starts with the boat race at Lake Washington, Fiesta sa Nayon Festival, Bon Odori Festival, Bite of Seattle, Chinese Festival etc.
The Torchlight parade is very nice to watch. It usually starts at 6:00 pm with a marathon race then followed by the parade of police officers in flashing motobikes. The police exhibit their nice police motorbikes. Then the long parade continues until 11 pm. Children enjoy the parade of the Pirates of Seattle, the Filipino Drill Team, the long Chinese Dragon and the Chinese Drill Team, the Firefighters Band of Seattle, the Grand Marshalls float, the Boeing Float, the Koreans Team, the Sikh Association of Washington, the Japanese-American Team, UW marching band, etc.
The parade ends at the end of downtown Seattle.
There are many homeless people in Seattle because of migration and immigration. Some come here for jobs. When their seasonal jobs are out in other states, they come to Seattle.
There is a shelter downtown on Third Avenue, close to the King County Courthouse where the homeless people go to sleep at night. There is also the Pioneer Square Clinic, where the homeless people go for their health problems. So, the homeless people tend to stay in downtown Seattle for their daily food, health and shelter comfort.
On Broadway Street, there is another Gospel Mission, where the homeless people get packed lunches and warm dinners. The volunteers distribute cooked and warm meals and during these distribution "times", the homeless people gather and flock here.
There are many problems that come from the homelessness: crimes, drug-trafficking, prostitution, health problems like STD/HIV, etc.
My daughter Rainier volunteers during the Holiday season and feed the homeless people. She was still nine years old when she was doing this. She does this with her friends. Sometimes, she puts a table at the front of grocery stores and ask for can goods. She then gives this to the poor people via the Food Banks.
The rest of the family volunteer for the battered women. During the holidays, we cook turkey and our best food and bring them to the shelter for battered women. We serve the meals over there and we eat with them...This is my way of telling my children how lucky they are. It's an experience for them.
As for me, I volunteer 480 hours sometimes to the protection of abused children. I go to court and be the voice of the children who can't even speak.
Anyway, the worst part for the homeless people here is during the winter time when the shelters can't accomodate the homeless people. When it gets really, really cold, some die.
The city has put some "tent cities" but these create more problems to the neighborhood so they instead put shelters in the city! The homeless people tend to wander around and become a nuisance to the city or suburb residents.
They say it rains a lot in Seattle! That's so true! We got used to it already except that our drivers don't. So be careful driving!
So, when you come to Seattle, choose the right season then you don't have to bring an umbrella. The best time to come to Seattle is the month of July, August and September. It is bright and sunny but, sometimes, it still rains!
The malls here provide umbrellas especially when you are shopping at the university village. Those yellow umbrellas, however, needed to be returned at any store. Those umbrellas are only used to cover you when you shop from one store to another store. They are not meant to be brought home!
I haven't realize that Seattlelites have unique customs. But, come to think of it, Seattlelites do!
The people here are caffeineted - for lack of a better word. The residents here drink their coffee strong. And, they have lots of choices when they drink coffee.
When coming to Seattle, you will be surprised how many coffee stands we have. There are those little tiny houses called coffee stands at almost every gasoline station or parking lot and the regulars like the Tully's Coffee Shop, The Seattle's Best or to Starbucks.
Also, you will probably spend a lot of time looking at the menu of just ordering coffee alone.
It seems like every corner in Seattle has a coffee shop like those I mentioned above.
When ordering, we can distinguish or pinpoint who is not from Seattle or who is a tourist or visitor just by the way they order coffee.
Here's how you order coffee in Seattle at Starbucks:
1. Pick what kind of drink (coffee, mocha) you like
2. Do you like it in small, medium, tall, or benti cup?
2. Do you like caffeineted or decaffeineted?
3. Do you like it with white sugar, brown sugar or sugar free?
4. Do you like it with milk, half and half, or cream?
5. When ordering it, do you like it drip? (This is cheape because they get the cup and don't grind the coffee. They just get it from the big thermos).
6. Do you like the cream with foam or no foam?
On average, a Seattlelite employee downtown spends $400 a month on coffee alone. Yes, it's true! Being a Seattlelite, I already know that. Starbucks originated in Seattle!
I know how to order coffee, the Seattlelite-style but most of the time and to save money, I bring my own coffee at work. I have those thermos/cups that I bought from Starbucks and just pour my coffee with cream and sugar and come to work!
More Reviews (186)
- See All A total disappointment at Marrakesh...
- See All Driving to Space Needle and Chihuly...
- See All Visit the Chihuly Garden and Arts Museum
- See All Greyhound Bus Station to Chinatown
- See All Shopping at the Pacific Place
- See All Seattle is a very safe city
- See All The City of Seattle Building
- See All Don't leave valuables in your car at the...
- See All Jazz in the Market
- See All Jogging/Walking
- See All Check the Concorde and Air Force One...
- Bring a hooded jacket if you don't have...
joiwatani's Related Pages
Seattle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The famous Space Needle in Seattle"
- ") @ L was great!"
- "Emerald City of the Northwest"
- "It's not always raining in Seattle"
- "Never Sip-less in Seattle"
- "A Great Place to Live"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seattle
- Hotels in Seattle
- Transportation in Seattle
- Nightlife in Seattle
- Restaurants in Seattle
- Shopping in Seattle
- Warnings and Dangers in Seattle
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Seattle
- 192 Reviews
- 1,703 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Seattle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seattle
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: OMG! Time flies! I have not..."
- Commented on one of joiwatani's Seattle travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "2012 VT Seattle Dinner/Belly Dancing on August 11"
- created a Seattle Travelogue "The Space Needle, Part VII"
- Wrote a Review A total disappointment at Marrakesh Restaurant! in Seattle Restaurants
- Uploaded a Video to Seattle
Videos in SeattleSee All Videos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (260)
Latest Seattle hotel reviews
- Alexis Hotel
- 971 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Springhill Suites By Marriott Seattle Downtown
- 381 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Quality Inn Sea-Tac Airport
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Hyatt At Olive 8
- 862 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Elektra Condominiums
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2012
- Days Inn Seattle /Tacoma International Airport
- 194 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Panama Hotel
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- The Green Tortoise Hostel
- 209 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel Max
- 922 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Doubletree Arctic Club Hotel Seattle
- 646 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- The Roosevelt Hotel
- 571 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Travelodge Seattle Sea Tac Airport
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013
- Mediterranean Inn
- 679 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Four Points by Sheraton Downtown Seattle Center
- 245 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Space Needle- 88 Reviews, 153 Photos
- Pike Place Market- 146 Reviews, 220 Photos
- Pioneer Square- 60 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Experience Music Project - EMP- 45 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Downtown Seattle- 43 Reviews, 79 Photos
- Ballard Locks- 24 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Aquarium- 26 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Museum Of Flight- 24 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Fremont District- 15 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Boeing Factory- 12 Reviews, 20 Photos
See All Seattle Things to Do