"See the urban sea lions!" Top 5 Page for this destination Astoria by joiwatani
Astoria Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 256 photos
Going home from our day trip from the Kite Festival in Long Beach, Washington, we tried a different route going home to Seattle, Washington. The day is getting shorter and pretty soon, the sky will be enveloped with dark clouds and we didn't like to drive on the long and winding roads of Washington at night.
Although it will be farther, at least, the drive will be faster on Interstate 5- just straight all the way to Seatle!
As soon as we passed the beautiful bridge that connects Washington to Oregon, we heard loud sounds and my daughter Rainier said that there are sea lions on the dock close to Safeway, a store in Oregon. We parked our car and followed the calling sounds of the sea lions.
Crossing the railway station along the dock, we found ourselves watching the sea lions on the dock just lying lazily. There must be hundreds of them. Some were asleep and some were just swimming in the water!
The sight of these sea lions in an urban city is just spectacular! It is beautiful to see them- some are adult sea lions and some are young. Some sea lions are shedding their skin to have a newer ones in preparation for the next winter!
Both sides of the dock were filled with sea lions!
It was a good day for us to see these wild animals and our long trip back home is after all not bad!
Just imagine how happy my children were to see these sea lions on our way home! It was spectacular! Unbelievable! We didn't have to go anywhere to try to chase them! They were just there for us to see! And, they were not even afraid or they didn't care whethere or not we were so close with them to take pictures! They just there chillin'!
These sea lions just occupied the whole dock! I was told they come and visit this dock in August!
- Pros:The sea lions are good to see!
- Cons:They are loud when they are disturbed!
- In a nutshell:These sea lions can be seen on the dock, can be heard on the streets!
Just stop by Astoria by the dock and see the sea lions. It only takes about few minutes! from the street! more travel advice
joiwatani's Related Pages
Astoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oldest American Settlement West of the Rockies"
- "Now a Major Tourist Town"
- "ASTORIA - FIRST IN OREGON"
- "See the urban sea lions!"
- "Cruise Stop: Astoria"
- "Great History and Fun at the Oregon Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Astoria
- Hotels in Astoria
- Transportation in Astoria
- Restaurants in Astoria
- Shopping in Astoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Astoria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Astoria
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Astoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Astoria
Photos in AstoriaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues