"Athens, a beautiful university town in Ohio" Athens by joiwatani
Athens Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 80 photos
Athens is a very small town with about an estimated population of 21, 342 (corrected by a fellow VT/statistics of 2009) and most of the population are students of Ohio University. The students, who temporarily reside in Athens, come from the different regions of the world. There are more than 91 countries represented!
Athens is popular because of it's International Street Fair. In 1992-1994, I helped organized the International Street Fair as I was then the Communications Director of the International Student Union of Ohio University. I have to coordinate with the city officials of Athens, Ohio. They were helpful because it was one way of bringing in revenue to this small town.!
Athens is also very popular because of its wild halloween street parties.
On the halloween night, the main street in Athens is closed down by the city. The whole town is in the mood for halloween!
The Halloween party attracts thousands of local tourists and brings in money for the small businesses like restaurants, store owners, hotels, motels and pubs!
The buildings of Ohio University are very beautiful. It is very comforting to go to the university campus. It is very conducive for studies. The connecting walk ways are made of bricks and the campus is surrounded with old maple trees.
The Alden Library of Ohio University has the most collection of Malaysian books in the world! It is a repository of books from the government of Malaysia! It is the only library in the United States that is supported by a foreign government! No doubt, Ohio University has a sister university in Malaysia- the Universatti Kebangsaan Malaysia. Also, there are hundreds of Malaysian government scholars studying at Ohio University.
- Pros:Small and lovely little town
- Cons:Not a lot of shopping malls!c*
- In a nutshell:Athens is a great town to raise children. It is a very peaceful town!
Athens is a very popular destination during the Halloween season. You might like to book a year ahead of time in order... more travel advice
joiwatani's Related Pages
Athens Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Athens, a beautiful university town in Ohio"
- "Athens, Athens County, Ohio"
- "The best college town in Ohio."
- "Home of the Bobcats"
- "David Sedaris at Ohio University"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Athens
- 3 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Athens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Athens
Photos in AthensSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (260)
Latest Athens hotel reviews
- Amerihost Inn Athens
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013