Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path Tips by joiwatani Top 5 Page for this destination
Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path: 490 reviews and 802 photos
Take the Tram from Excalibur Hotel and stop at the Mandalay Bay. From the front of the Mandalay Bay, follow the sgns going to the Lobby where there is a Fish Tank. To the left of the lobby is a grand stairway that leads you to the back of Mandalay. This is also the way to their pool.
There is a beautiful garden there called the Oasis. It passes through a water fountain of elephants and palm trees. You can also see the gated pool.
The Grand Canyon
When you plan to go to Las Vegas, also plan to side trip to the Grand Canyon. You are already close to the most beautiful rock formation on earth anyway.
Make sure to spend the night over there if you don't feel like driving back to Las Vegas. And, experience the most spectacular sun rise! As if the whole canyon is on fire!
Bring a jacket no matter what because it gets really cold in the morning at the Grand Canyon.
The entrance fee is $25.00 and the pass is good for seven days. The skywalk fee is different because this is maintained by the local Indian community.
Phone: (928) 638-7888
My husband and Sierra who was only 2 yrs old then
I was actually amazed to see that there were actually waterfalls in the desert! How could that be?
My brother-in-law, who lives in Las Vegas (owns businesses there), took us to Black Diamond. He said there are red rocks in the town and it is a great place for hiking. We actually went hiking close to the red rocks and found mini-waterfalls!
The hike was easy because there are trails to follow, snaking through small bushes.
The red rocks are amazing.
The drive was about 45 minutes from the Strip and the hike is about 30 minutes one way.
If your time allows, it is nice to go to Boulder City. You can stop by the city and walk around and check out their Indian stores. You pass by this town, anyway, when you head to the scenic route going to Lake Mead and leading to the Hoover Dam!
The Look out at Lake Mead
When going to the Hoover Dam, make sure to take the scenic route going to Lake Mead. This route is taken in the middle of the city in Boulder. If you are driving, make sure to be alert on checking the road signs because when you missed the sign in Boulder City, you have to turn around.
The scenic route is actually a better route because the roads snake through the top of a hill overlooking Lake Mead. The lookout is close to the road and just slow down and park your car on the side. Be careful when crossing the road...
Aerial view of the Hoover Dam
When you are driving to the Hoover Dam, make sure to park your car all the way close to the Arizona emblem because you will have a better view of the dam. Then just walk down to the other sites of the dam.
At the Hoover Dam, you can actually walk a few steps and you are at Nevada Time and a few steps back at Arizona Time.
If you go at the Hoover Dam when it's Daylight Savings Time, you will see that there is an hour difference even if you are just a few steps away. It's because Nevada uses the Daylight Savings Time and Arizona don't.
Since we went there last March, the time is still the same between Arizona and Nevada. However, the last time we were there, there was an hour difference.
The Hoover Dam
Just imagine the neon lights of Las Vegas without Hoover Dam...It would have been impossible to electrify the whole of Las Vegas' Strip, including the sprouting new towns of Green Valley, Henderson and other adjacent towns had it not been for the construction of this amazing dam that generates power. This dam supplies electricity not only for Las Vegas but also for some parts of the State of California.
Travelling to Hoover Dam by car takes 45 minutes from the Strip. There is also a helicopter tour to Hoover Dam and to Lake Mead.
For us, we took the most scenic route which led us to Boulder City, passing through a vista overlooking the Lake Mead.
If you are renting a car, make sure to schedule half-a-day to go there so you can go to I-Max and watch how the Dam was built and eat ice cream at the souvenir store...
My daughters Shelby and Rainer at the MB garden
We were just walking to the north of the Strip. We wanted to get in to the Mandalay swimming pool as the children wanted to swim (they ended up going to Circus Circus Swimming pool) as they are getting too hot from walking. We asked from the attendant if he could allow us to get in. It looked so much fun and exciting inside as there were waves on the pool and some children were having a blast. The attendant said that since we were not residents of Mandalay Bay Hotel, we were not allowed to get in.
In frustration,we walked to the back of the hotel and found a beautiful garden with animals spouting water, water fountains and some tropical plants for shade.
We took some pictures and headed back to the south of the Strip to swim at the Circus Circus Swimming Pool!
For more information about Mandalay Bay Hotel, log on to their website.
3950 Las Vegas Blvd. South
Las Vegas, NV 89119
More Reviews (227)
- See All Polo Towers
- See All A week is just about right
- See All Abraham Lincoln at the wax museum
- See All Looking for Pucci?
- See All Woflgang Puck Pizzeria and Cuccina
- See All CityCenter Tram of Bellagio, Crystals ...
- See All Bring your own aluminum water tin can!
- See All Watch the eruption of the volcano at...
- See All Pack an umbrella stroller for your kid!
- See All Buying jewelries on installment
- See All Those servers that roam around the...
Been to Las Vegas?Share your travels with the world!
joiwatani's Related Pages
Las Vegas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
- "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"
- "A tourists view of Las Vegas"
- "las vegas"
- "Vegas - City with a sleeping disorder"
- "Viva Las Vegas"
- "Las Vegas: An Escape From Reality"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Las Vegas
- Hotels in Las Vegas
- Transportation in Las Vegas
- Nightlife in Las Vegas
- Restaurants in Las Vegas
- Shopping in Las Vegas
- Warnings and Dangers in Las Vegas
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pamukkale Hotels
- Phillaur Hotels
- Allahabad Hotels
- Nathia Gali Hotels
- Daytrip outside Amsterdam: The Hague / Madurodam / Scheveningen
- Tampa Off The Beaten Path
- Turks and Caicos Islands Off The Beaten Path
- Cesky Krumlov
- Nice Off The Beaten Path
- Carmel-by-the-Sea Off The Beaten Path
- Musee Nissim de Camondo
- Mexico Off The Beaten Path
- East County
- Out of town - Day trips
- Abu Dhabi Off The Beaten Path
- Saint Augustine Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Las Vegas
- 236 Reviews
- 1,086 Photos
- 30 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Las Vegas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Las Vegas
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Claus"
- updated a Las Vegas Travelogue "Las Vegas, 2001, Part VII: Atlantis War, Caesar's"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Las Vegas, 2001, Part VII: Atlantis War, Caesar's"
- Wrote a Review Polo Towers in Las Vegas Hotels
- Commented on one of riorich55's Las Vegas travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Las Vegas
Photos in Las VegasSee All Photos (1086)
Videos in Las VegasSee All Videos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues
Latest Las Vegas hotel reviews
- Comfort Inn Las Vegas
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- WorldMark Las Vegas-Boulevard
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Royal Resort
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Gold Coast Hotel and Casino
- 774 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Las Vegas Club Hotel And Casino
- 342 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Wild Wild West Gambling Hall and Hotel
- 258 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Worldmark Tropicana
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Sahara Westwood Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- The Carriage House
- 519 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Sin City Hostel
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 11, 2013
- Embassy Suites Hotel Convention Center Paradise Road Las Vegas
- 369 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- The Platinum Hotel And Spa
- 1808 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Hyatt Place Las Vegas
- 176 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Element Las Vegas Summerlin
- 195 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Fremont Street Experience- 83 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Venetian Hotel - Casino- 139 Reviews, 306 Photos
- Mirage- 118 Reviews, 199 Photos
- Bellagio Fountains- 134 Reviews, 263 Photos
- MGM Grand- 62 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Caesar's Palace- 95 Reviews, 201 Photos
- Treasure Island Hotel - Casino- 58 Reviews, 110 Photos
- Lake Mead and Hoover Dam- 87 Reviews, 240 Photos
- Luxor- 74 Reviews, 136 Photos
- Stratosphere- 77 Reviews, 117 Photos
See All Las Vegas Things to Do