"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!" Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas by joiwatani

Las Vegas Travel Guide: 8,460 reviews and 17,447 photos

Great for family vacation

Are you planning to go to Las Vegas? You are in luck my friend because I have some great tips for you! If you live in the United States, the best place to check out cheap hotel and airfare prices is the Expedia.com! They have sale all the time. Go to their website and check out for deals! If you do the budget travel, make sure to not include the car. Just take the shuttle. Don't worry, there are so many shuttles at the airport that brings you directly to the front door of your chosen hotel! Just book the flight and the hotel. Always choose Tuesday for flying because it is cheaper. You probably get a $100 discount! We go to Las Vegas at least once a year. That's why I can say, Las Vegas don't have to be expensive if you know what you are doing...And, I can share you some of the great tips!

On my Las Vegas pages, I created a lot of Travelogue and posted many of my pictures so you can have a glimpse of what the hotel look like- that is if you are choosing which hotel you are going to stay. I also posted a lot of pictures so you can see how much fun you are going to have in Las Vegas!

This year, I brought my siblings who were visiting from Japan and I rented a villa at the Polo Towers!
Everytime we go, there are new buildings that sprouted!

This time (August 2011), we visited the New Aria Hotel and took a lot of pictures of its very modern motiff. I love their arts, sculptors and decors. I also loved just walking around their lobby. It is absolutely a delightful modern hotel!

Last March 2009, we visited the Trump Tower. It was the newest at the time... It looks like, Donald Trump imitated the golden color of the Mandalay Bay...There is also the M Hotel and the new M Shopping Mall. My children loved to check out their local Indian Jewelry Store!

You wonder how this desert town transformed into a famous attraction in the United States? It is truly the capital of entertainment!

If you have a lot of time in Las Vegas, make sure to side trip to the Grand Canyon! It is worth it!

Las Vegas is very famous for its magnificent hotels and casinos. It is also well-known for its spectacular neon lights, fun and exciting strip clubs, magic shows and hundreds of concerts.

There are also many shopping stores here, too - from the most exquisite jewelry store to the most expensive purse outlet. Your eyes will feast on a lot of beautiful things to see in Las Vegas.

This town is also very famous for its restaurants. They have the best chefs coming to Las Vegas!

If you wanted to live like a King or a Queen for one day, you can do it. Let your money talks! Stay at the five star hotel's presidential suite and have all your whims and desires fulfilled!

On our preivous visit, we side-tripped to Lake Mead and Hoover Dam because we wanted to get out from the Strip. Our visit coincided with the the All-American Basketbal Team conference and the Strip looked like a zoo with wild party animals at night. This year, the All American Basketball Team went to Phoenix and we saw them there again! And no matter what, this always cause traffic. They have so many fans following them, that's why. We ended up doing our Phoenix VT meeting in Peoria, Arizona...

In 2009, LV was over-crowded with the All-American basketball fans. The place was noisy and the crowd, uncontrollable! Las Vegas was totally turned into a horrendous town with lots of drank people on the streets. The traffic was outrageous! We were in the bus on the strip for about 2 hours! (I wrote a formal letter of complaint to the hotel where we were staying (Circus Circus) because of the noises. We had a hard time going to sleep or being awaken every hour by noises! Up to this date, I have not receive any response yet. I read from the newspaper the very next day, that the city will never allow this kind of conference again!)

The other year, we side trip to Black Diamond.

Lake Mead

Journal Entry March 2009 -Since we drove to Las Vegas last March 2009, we opted to take a more scenic route this time. The lake is prettier to look at on top of the hill . The residential area is beautiful, with an array of multi-million dollar view houses! We stopped our car on a designated Scenic View spot on the road and took some pictures of Lake Mead! It was a very beautiful day...We had to look-out and be more alert because the scenic view spot is dangerous and there are cars zooming down the curve...

Journal of February 2007 - After three days of walking back and forth on the Las Vegas Strip, and going to all the places and shows you could possibly think, my children were all excited to go to Lake Mead for a change. Although the weather was still hot as usual, the drive in an air conditioned rental car was very nice.

The drive to Lake Mead is about 45 minutes. We packed our lunches and lots of bottled water in a cooler before we head to Lake Mead. We passed a lot of Joshua trees. These were beautiful cacti that were scattered on our way to Lake Mead. I was told that it takes hundreds of years to grow a mature 12-foot tree! These trees are remnants of the Dinosaur days!

There is a new construction going on - the old road going to Lake Mead is still there and the new road being built is more direct. Moreover, the road being constructed is more scenic than the old road since it is along the lake. Before reaching the lake, we have to pass to toll booth and had to pay $15.00!

The road trip was worth it once we got to Lake Mead!

Here are the places, events and shows we did:

Watching the pirates show at the Mirage
Watching the Cirque de Soleil's "Mystere" at the Treasure Island
Eating gelato ice cream at the Venetian Hotel
Swimming at Circus Circus
Going to the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay Hotel & Casino
Checking out Sphinx and pharaosh and the Museum of Tutankhamum at Luxor Hotel
Watching the children's show at Excalibur
Watching the waterfalls at the Wynn's Hotel
Watching the gondolas at Venetian Hotel

Hoover Dam

The drive to Hoover Dam is about an hour from downtown Las Vegas. There was a lot of construction going on over there because they are building some bridges over the dam and they are detouring most of the cars. I brought the children there to see where all the lights of Las Vegas are coming from.

There is a place where you can watch a movie about the history of Hoover dam - how it was built and how many people's lives were sacrificed in building it. The movie was very informative. It was also a good lesson for my children to appreciate the engineers and the laborers of the dam. We appreciate and thank them - for us to enjoy and appreciate the electricity, the neon lights and the water generated by the dam in Las Vegas and other neighboring towns.

• Pros:A place to come back each year!
  • Cons:It gets too hot in the summer!
  • In a nutshell:Las Vegas is a place where we visit every year!
  • Last visit to Las Vegas: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated Sep 27, 2011

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2012 at 8:13 PM

The Japanese Franchisee bought out 7 Eleven, when i was in San Diego in September, they had just started a total upgrading of all 7 Eleven stores in the US. I am now better equipped for another visit to LV ;-)))

• paolodecastro's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2011 at 6:26 PM

OMG.....this is the most numbered tips in a single place i have seen so far..............i think ki am a year old when i finished rating your tips ate jO hahahahaahaaaaa

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2011 at 5:48 AM

Jo, When I get rich and go to LV, I will be sure to go to those designer stores and maybe pass by and say hello to George.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2011 at 10:38 AM

enjoyed you LV pages. sb

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Aloha, Jo! Viva Las Vegas, uh huh. I also enjoy visiting Lake Las Vegas in Henderson. Larry

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2009 at 5:38 AM

Great tips and pics! Ann, T.S. :-)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Hey Jo! You are top 5 in Vegas...good job! I love the big Lady Bug! Norman :)

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2009 at 4:37 AM

Wherever in the world I see a double decker, I immediately think of London, but in Las Vegas I have never seen any, unfortunately. Usefull transportation tips. Best. L.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Las Vegas is fun! Some people think it is all about the gambling, yet there is so many other things to do even with the family. We come here often and always find something new. Nice page!

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I never imagined that Las Vegas would have anything but gamblers. You make it sound like a lovely place to visit without gambling.

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Las Vegas

• 1,086 Photos

Have you been to Las Vegas?

Photos in Las Vegas