"The beautiful jungles and rainforest of Maricao!!!" Maricao by joiwatani
Maricao Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 47 photos
I had to travel about 30 minutes to take this picture of the place where my daughter and I (including 15 other volunteers) stayed for free for a whole week. This is an old coffee house that was sold to the nuns and converted into a community center.
My daughter and I volunteered here to help cleaned their nursery, established a hydroponics system for their nursery, etc. Some of the volunteers in our group helped in fixing the roof, painted the place and assisted in helping the women in their sewing job. (We donated industrial sewing machine!)
There is a river that surrounds this coffee house, a convent, a bakery, a small museum, a nursery, and a chapel. The community center also has a school...
There were 16 high school students who volunteered here. They helped in cleaning the nursery.
In this picture, we went to a hacienda owned by one of the richest resident in Maricao for a barbecue dinner. Their house sits up in a mountain where we can see where we were housed for a whole week.
My daughter Rainier was jumping for joy how beautiful Puerto Rico is!
There is a small museum in Indiera that was put up by the nuns. It was nice to see this. Every year, they host a festival in this old coffee house.
- Pros:It is so beautiful here and very relaxing
- Cons:No daily transportation to come here!
- In a nutshell:Maricao is a beautiful place to be if you are a nature lover!
It is advisable to drive when there is still light going back to San Juan. The roads are treacherous and it gets dark... more travel advice
These are the basic food of the Taino in the old days. This is depicted outside the museum- a Taino woman grating a yuca... more travel advice
joiwatani's Related Pages
Maricao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The beautiful jungles and rainforest of Maricao!!!"
- "OJOSVERDES22's new Maricao Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maricao
- Hotels in Maricao
- Transportation in Maricao
- Warnings and Dangers in Maricao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maricao
- 12 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Maricao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maricao
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues