"The beautiful jungles and rainforest of Maricao!!!" Maricao by joiwatani

Maricao Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 47 photos

The coffee house in Indiera, Maricao!

I had to travel about 30 minutes to take this picture of the place where my daughter and I (including 15 other volunteers) stayed for free for a whole week. This is an old coffee house that was sold to the nuns and converted into a community center.

My daughter and I volunteered here to help cleaned their nursery, established a hydroponics system for their nursery, etc. Some of the volunteers in our group helped in fixing the roof, painted the place and assisted in helping the women in their sewing job. (We donated industrial sewing machine!)

There is a river that surrounds this coffee house, a convent, a bakery, a small museum, a nursery, and a chapel. The community center also has a school...

My daughter and her bestfriend are having a blast!

There were 16 high school students who volunteered here. They helped in cleaning the nursery.

In this picture, we went to a hacienda owned by one of the richest resident in Maricao for a barbecue dinner. Their house sits up in a mountain where we can see where we were housed for a whole week.

My daughter Rainier was jumping for joy how beautiful Puerto Rico is!

The old houses of the indigenous people!

There is a small museum in Indiera that was put up by the nuns. It was nice to see this. Every year, they host a festival in this old coffee house.

• Pros:It is so beautiful here and very relaxing
  • Cons:No daily transportation to come here!
  • In a nutshell:Maricao is a beautiful place to be if you are a nature lover!
  • Last visit to Maricao: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Sep 25, 2011

Comments

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Maricao

Have you been to Maricao?