"Bamboos, persimmons and vegetable farms" Top 5 Page for this destination Ibaraki-ken by joiwatani
Ibaraki-ken Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 829 photos
I stayed in Ibaraki for two weeks and I would say that this provincial farming town is very beautiful and quiet. This is a great place to observe the Japanese culture first hand. There are not a lot of tourists here and if there are, they are mostly local visitors coming from different prefectures (provinces) of Japan.
What are the places to see in Ibaraki? The following are wonderful places (Please click them and it will bring you to the individual link):
The morning I got up, I opened up my sister's room's window and I had a pleasant surprise! I found the backyard garden of her neighbor filled with vegetable plants and giant chrysanthemums, the national flower of Japan. There are lettuce, onions, raddishes, cabbages, carrots and even the taro! There are also fruit bearing trees laden with yellow fruits!
The mandarin tree is heavy with fruits. There are stakes on the branches to keep them from breaking off! The yellow mandarin are so riped I feel like jumping over their fence and pick them up!
The Chrysanthemum flowers were also pleasant surprise! They were so beautiful! The flowers are in whites and yellows. The amazing thing about these flowers? The flowers are gigantic! They looked like the giant sunflowers!
The bamboo leaves on the side of the fence are also swaying and the leaves are rustling and waving as if they are whispering to me that I should get up from my warm bed and time to explore the city!
The tiger grasses across the street of my sister's apartment are all in bloom. The white flowers are just swaying. The farm is filled with birds chirping in the afternoon. The birds like to flock this area in the late afternoon until the sun has already set. The birds just come here and chirps the whole afternoon...
In early morning, high schoolers go to their schools in bikes. The girls and the boys are in blue uniform. The girls are in skirts with blue socks to their knees. It must be uncomfortable to bike on those skirts! They put their school bags in the basket at the front of their bikes.
I was told that the school encourage the children to bike to school. It is one among the many lessons they have to learn to be independent at a very young age.
The elementary school children are not brought to school by their parents either. They have to walk to school with their other classmates!
The roads are so tiny but these have bike paths and there are huge cement barrier that separates the bikers from the motorists.
The early life in Ibaraki is quiet. I just saw children biking to work and workers going to work. They are encouraged to take the bus or bike!
- Pros:Must be nice to live if you have a house and a farm over here.
- Cons:Too far away from buses and train.
- In a nutshell:Ibaraki-ken is the side of Japan where there is still a lot of the old culture maintained.
Commuting is part of the daily life of the Japanese workers. It is very seldom that the Japanese drive to their work... more travel advice
The school children in Japan are trained at an early age to become very independent and reliable. It is part of their... more travel advice
- Driving a small car in Ibaraki, Japan
- See All Buy Curtains with Japanese designs
- See All Go to Shimutsoma Park
joiwatani's Related Pages
Ibaraki-ken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ibaraki - A Visit to a Herbal Medicines Factory"
- "Bamboos, persimmons and vegetable farms"
- "Ibaraki: Cinderella among all Prefectures"
- "The rose of the name"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ibaraki-ken
- Hotels in Ibaraki-ken
- Transportation in Ibaraki-ken
- Nightlife in Ibaraki-ken
- Restaurants in Ibaraki-ken
- Shopping in Ibaraki-ken
- Warnings and Dangers in Ibaraki-ken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ibaraki-ken
- 55 Reviews
- 365 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Ibaraki-ken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ibaraki-ken
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues