"Bamboos, persimmons and vegetable farms" Top 5 Page for this destination Ibaraki-ken by joiwatani

Ibaraki-ken Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 829 photos

The old life of Japan

I stayed in Ibaraki for two weeks and I would say that this provincial farming town is very beautiful and quiet. This is a great place to observe the Japanese culture first hand. There are not a lot of tourists here and if there are, they are mostly local visitors coming from different prefectures (provinces) of Japan.

What are the places to see in Ibaraki? The following are wonderful places (Please click them and it will bring you to the individual link):

Mito
Tsukubayama
Oarai
Sano City
Ushiku Buddha

The morning I got up, I opened up my sister's room's window and I had a pleasant surprise! I found the backyard garden of her neighbor filled with vegetable plants and giant chrysanthemums, the national flower of Japan. There are lettuce, onions, raddishes, cabbages, carrots and even the taro! There are also fruit bearing trees laden with yellow fruits!

The mandarin tree is heavy with fruits. There are stakes on the branches to keep them from breaking off! The yellow mandarin are so riped I feel like jumping over their fence and pick them up!

The Chrysanthemum flowers were also pleasant surprise! They were so beautiful! The flowers are in whites and yellows. The amazing thing about these flowers? The flowers are gigantic! They looked like the giant sunflowers!

The bamboo leaves on the side of the fence are also swaying and the leaves are rustling and waving as if they are whispering to me that I should get up from my warm bed and time to explore the city!

The tiger grasses

The tiger grasses across the street of my sister's apartment are all in bloom. The white flowers are just swaying. The farm is filled with birds chirping in the afternoon. The birds like to flock this area in the late afternoon until the sun has already set. The birds just come here and chirps the whole afternoon...

The bikers

In early morning, high schoolers go to their schools in bikes. The girls and the boys are in blue uniform. The girls are in skirts with blue socks to their knees. It must be uncomfortable to bike on those skirts! They put their school bags in the basket at the front of their bikes.

I was told that the school encourage the children to bike to school. It is one among the many lessons they have to learn to be independent at a very young age.

The elementary school children are not brought to school by their parents either. They have to walk to school with their other classmates!

The roads are so tiny but these have bike paths and there are huge cement barrier that separates the bikers from the motorists.

The early life in Ibaraki is quiet. I just saw children biking to work and workers going to work. They are encouraged to take the bus or bike!

• Pros:Must be nice to live if you have a house and a farm over here.
  • Cons:Too far away from buses and train.
  • In a nutshell:Ibaraki-ken is the side of Japan where there is still a lot of the old culture maintained.
  • Last visit to Ibaraki-ken: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 16, 2011

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2012 at 8:56 AM

OH what a fabulously beautiful pic!! I love Japan, but my time there was in 70s!!! it was where I first went skiing.....

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Nice tips here. Ibaraki is not far from Tokyo yet I have seen very little of it.

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2011 at 8:09 AM

I love the flower.. It's huge.
    Yes, I agree about the children biking...independence.
    In Nagano-ken where I stayed before I always see children riding their bikes on their way to school every morning.

Great Ibaraki page.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Great that the children in Ibaraki-ken are encouraged to walk or ride their bikes to school! Some German cities, in cooperation with the General German Bicycle Club, are now starting Bike to School and Bike to Work campaigns.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Ibarakai is one of your best pages...when are we going to have a VT Meet in Japan? Just tell me, I'll book the ticket, hehehe....

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Ibaraki is full of colours with those giant and tiny Chrysanthemums. Made the place beautiful.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Good tips on Ibaraki, thanks for sharing!

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Ibaraki-ken

Have you been to Ibaraki-ken?