"The tradition and technology mixed together" Japan by joiwatani

Japan Travel Guide: 20,452 reviews and 57,821 photos

The Old Japan

(Note: I pray for the victims of the recent tsunami and earthquake in Japan and I am hoping for their fast recovery...

The tsunami and earthquake in April of 2011 devastated their people and their economy but I know that the people of Japan are very resilient. I know that they will rise up again).

Although Japan belongs to the first world and very advance in technology, its people maintain their culture, traditions and beliefs.

The Japanese people preserved their ancestor's structures, buildings and parks. They value these so much, they show on their daily living and activities -the way they present and serve their food and drinks, their clothes, houses and gardens, among other things.

It is very fascinating to visit Japan. One experiences the Japanese' ying-yang of modernity and culture.

There are four islands in Japan: Kyushu, Shikoku, Honshu and Hokkaido. The largest island is Hokkaido and the smallest is Kagawa.

The population of Tokyo, Japan's capital is 12,060,000 (2009). The highest mountain is Mt. Fuji.

In general, the Japanese people are hardworking, patient, quiet, polite, resilient and generous. They are always the first one to help other nations in times of calamities like earthquakes!

Japan's people love to eat fish (sushi) which is also popular abroad. Last year, they caught about 5 million tons of fish!

I visited Kyoto, Tsukuba, Narita, Tsuchuira, Ishioka and Mito. I also went to Sano and Oarai.

The places to see the "older Japan" is Kyoto. There are so many temples in Kyoto that three days is not enough to explore. I truly enjoyed the Japanese traditions of going to the different temples and participate in some of their traditions.

I was excited to visit Japan since I haven't seen my three sisters and two brothers for a long time. They immigrated to Ibaraki, Japan with their families early 1990s.

I brought with me a Japanese dictionary and the book by Anne Kaneko entitled "Japanese for All Occasions: The Right Word at the Right Time. Then I went to the local library to borrow travel books for Kyoto.

In Japan, it is always best to go the Information Centers to get free maps. There are many Informations Centers and they are usually staffed by older Japanese volunteers who speak pretty good English.

The New Japan

Japan is very advance in technology. The railway system in Japan is the first thing that I can tell you how the people embraces it. It is fast, on time and affordable. The "shinkansen" (bullet train) is an example how advance the transit system in Japan is. It is a fast train that's why it is called bullet train because it travels as fast as a bullet!

Tokyo's Akihabara district is the one place to see where Japan displays their modern technology. Also, some places like the City of Mito where there are modern buildings, recent technology displays. Also, it has a museum that displays what the Japanese are working on: new robots, new buses, new cars, new phones, new televisions, etc.

The Japanese people

The Japanese people are the most polite people in the world! They say "Sorry", "Excuse me!", "Pardon me" and "Thank you!" all the time. They are very courteous, respectful, and mindful of other people. This view of mine is probably the same with other tourists who go to Japan.

I admire their demeanors on their daily living. They are not rude on the streets even how busy they could get compared to big cities in the world!

It is very pleasant to travel in Japan because of their people.

• Pros:I would love to come back each year on different seasons!
  • Cons:I wish I can read and speak Japanese so it is easier for me to travel!
  • In a nutshell:Japan is exciting to visit and experience the difference of the old and the new culture!
  • Last visit to Japan: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2011

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM

So many familiar sights that you've brought back for me, canot wait for another visit, but soon ?? i wish ;-)))

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2011 at 1:12 AM

I love photos of Heian Jingu Shrine. It seems lots of children were celebrating 7-5-3 there.

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2009 at 5:39 AM

A trip looks promising here!! Thanks for visiting my pages - Venice, Brussels, Oostende. Best. L.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Interesting and detailed information on Japan.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Jo, thank you for the very interesting and useful information about Japan in your tips and travelogues.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Very nice page and beautiful pictures! hope to go to Japan someday and see also this beautiful country!!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2009 at 6:48 AM

Very interesting Japan travel page with lots of detailed information especially your general tips. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I enjoyed reading your insightful introduction to Japan. It's a relief to know that one has the option of pressing 11 in the subway if something goes wrong. -- Thanks for your nice holiday wishes!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Nice "posings" at your Kyoto page! Hope I'll see Kyoto someday...Norman :)

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2008 at 2:41 AM

Hi there, you have so manhy great pages! I would love to visit Japan.

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Japan