"Hang Loose in Hawaii" Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) by joiwatani
Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide: 11,208 reviews and 30,097 photos
My personal notes:
Last November 2012, I went to visit Hawaii again and this time, we went to Ko Olina Marina. This is a private resort with a golf course but the public can still go to the beach. The beach here is great for swimming especially children. It is great for relaxing since it's not as noisy as the other beaches.
I also went to the USS Arizona Memorial and pay tribute to those who died during WWII. I lived in Hawaii and came back many times, but I have never visited this place. It was truly a solemn and educational place.
For one day, we also drove around the island and stopped on different beaches. We also stopped at the Haleiwa, Three Tables in Waimea, the Polynesian Cultural Center, Makapu'u Beach, Sandy Beach, the new Kapolei town, etc. It was such a invigorating day- just feeling and smelling the ocean breeze.
In 2009 we went for a 9-day vacation in Hawaii. This trip was unexpected. For the 4th of July weekend, we planned to go to the Yellowstone but I heard that all the hotels were booked so we ended up going to Hawaii instead. We had a lot of fun. We did a lot of swimming as we visited most of the beaches in Hawaii: Waikiki, Sandy Beach, Makapuu, Maili, Waimea Beach and Wainae. We also went swimming at the cold pool at the Waimea Falls!
For the first time, my eldest daughter drove in Hawaii. We explored the caves in Makaha - at the tip of the Kaneana Point where the road ends. We had a great time taking pictures at the mouth of the cave! This cave is actually not advertised to tourists so we only saw maybe a family besides us visiting the cave.
The 4th of July fireworks in Honolulu was spectacular. We spent the night at the beach just watching the show.
In 1990, I was invited to give the crown to Miss GUMIL Hawaii with Honolulu Mayor Frank Harris. And, in 2001, I was invited again on a GUMIL Hawaii annual event and I was voted 1st Runner up for Mrs. GUMIL Hawaii.
When I was living in Oahu, I was very active in GUMIL, a Filipino Organization that serves in the preservation of the Ilocano culture. It publishes anthologies and books. Some of my writings were published in three books and the latest just came out published by the Efil, GUMIL Hawaii and the East-West Center of the University of Hawaii.
I lived in an apartment where Hawaii Governor Benjamin Cayetano grew up. It was a small apartment nestled in the heart of Kalihi. It is a neighborhood of Filipino immigrants, Samoans, Micronesians, Portuguese, Chinese and Koreans.
The last visit we had as a family was last year but my daughter Rainier came back last June to attend the graduation of my nephew in Honolulu.
When we were here the last time, we visited Puunuu Park, Sealife Park, Hanauma Bay, Waikiki Beach, Oceanaria, took the submarine Atlantis and went on a sunset cruise! We even drove around Kaneohe bay and the H-3!
Here's a poem I wrote about Hawaii:
Aloha and Mahalo Hawaii
(Published by GUMIL Hawaii, 1997)
We were lured by your beauty:
the dancing of the waves
the swaying of the hips
of beautiful women
in long black hair.
We were charmed by your beauty:
the rainbows, the mountains
the sunset, the ocean,
the long stretches of white sand.
On television we saw
Japanese tourists in lei
of their mighty yen playing golf.
On magazines our eyes watched
the magical view of the Diamond Head.
Our eyes feasted on tanned
women in bikini.
We danced with the beat of your fast time
We swayed our hips inside buses
We surfed on the waves of people
We melted among Hawaiians
who were robbed of your beauty:
We picked up empty coke cans
on the long stretches of white
sand of Waikiki.
I just found out on this latest trip that we had that there is actually a beach intended for children only. It is called the "Keiki" (children) Beach. It is located at the front of Ala Moana Center, exactly fronting Sears! Just go there with your children and you will feel secured and safe. There are about four life guards stalls, fully geared with ATV's, boards, and rescue accessories!
When we came here, July 2009, Sierra, my youngest daughter learned how to boogie board with her friends that she just met. She used to be afraid of floating on a board but seeing a lot of children doing it gave her more confidence. She even went deep water with the boogie board! (But, of course, I was constantly watching her!).
I was told that the Diamond Head is called because some English captain thought that the sparkling stones found on the crater are diamonds! So, they started calling the mountain "Diamond Head!"
The view of the Diamond Head is so beautiful in the morning. I have to wake up at 5:00 in the morning to capture it's crowning beauty!
- Pros:Good food, good beach, good weather, hang loose people!
- In a nutshell:I love the Aloha spirit! The people are service-oriented! Love it!
This is one of the Filipino custom in Hawaii. If you attended parties, it is okay to bring home food. The family of the... more travel advice
The park at the Ala Moana Beach is a great place to bring your children. As parents, we feel secured bringing the kids... more travel advice
- See All Don't turn around your car on the side...
- See All Ride the shuttle bus
- See All Buy your Hawaiian gifts at Hilo Hattie
- See All Hilton Hawaiian Village
joiwatani's Related Pages
Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hang Loose in Hawaii"
- "Hawaiian Islands ~ GO Virtual"
- "A Month In Paradise"
- "Hawaii this beautiful place we fell in love with."
- "diver-x's Hawaii Page"
- "BlueCollar's Hawai?i"
- "" ISLAND of OAHU ""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hawaii (State of)
- Hotels in Hawaii (State of)
- Transportation in Hawaii (State of)
- Nightlife in Hawaii (State of)
- Restaurants in Hawaii (State of)
- Shopping in Hawaii (State of)
- Warnings and Dangers in Hawaii (State of)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hawaii (State of)
- 109 Reviews
- 790 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hawaii (State of)
- updated a Hawaii (State of) Travelogue "Filipino foods in Hawaii, Part III"
- Posted in Travel Japan Forum "Re: 9 days Itinerary Japan - Need..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Filipino foods in Hawaii, Part III"
- Wrote a Review Bringing home food after parties: Filipino custom in Hawaii (State of) Local Customs
- Commented on one of joiwatani's Hawaii (State of) travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Hawaii (State of)
Videos in Hawaii (State of)See All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues