"Hang Loose in Hawaii" Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) by joiwatani

Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide: 10,612 reviews and 27,548 photos

Hawaii!

My personal notes:

Last November 2012, I went to visit Hawaii again and this time, we went to Ko Olina Marina. This is a private resort with a golf course but the public can still go to the beach. The beach here is great for swimming especially children. It is great for relaxing since it's not as noisy as the other beaches.

I also went to the USS Arizona Memorial and pay tribute to those who died during WWII. I lived in Hawaii and came back many times, but I have never visited this place. It was truly a solemn and educational place.

For one day, we also drove around the island and stopped on different beaches. We also stopped at the Haleiwa, Three Tables in Waimea, the Polynesian Cultural Center, Makapu'u Beach, Sandy Beach, the new Kapolei town, etc. It was such a invigorating day- just feeling and smelling the ocean breeze.

In 2009 we went for a 9-day vacation in Hawaii. This trip was unexpected. For the 4th of July weekend, we planned to go to the Yellowstone but I heard that all the hotels were booked so we ended up going to Hawaii instead. We had a lot of fun. We did a lot of swimming as we visited most of the beaches in Hawaii: Waikiki, Sandy Beach, Makapuu, Maili, Waimea Beach and Wainae. We also went swimming at the cold pool at the Waimea Falls!

For the first time, my eldest daughter drove in Hawaii. We explored the caves in Makaha - at the tip of the Kaneana Point where the road ends. We had a great time taking pictures at the mouth of the cave! This cave is actually not advertised to tourists so we only saw maybe a family besides us visiting the cave.

The 4th of July fireworks in Honolulu was spectacular. We spent the night at the beach just watching the show.

Previous Notes:
In 1990, I was invited to give the crown to Miss GUMIL Hawaii with Honolulu Mayor Frank Harris. And, in 2001, I was invited again on a GUMIL Hawaii annual event and I was voted 1st Runner up for Mrs. GUMIL Hawaii.

When I was living in Oahu, I was very active in GUMIL, a Filipino Organization that serves in the preservation of the Ilocano culture. It publishes anthologies and books. Some of my writings were published in three books and the latest just came out published by the Efil, GUMIL Hawaii and the East-West Center of the University of Hawaii.

I lived in an apartment where Hawaii Governor Benjamin Cayetano grew up. It was a small apartment nestled in the heart of Kalihi. It is a neighborhood of Filipino immigrants, Samoans, Micronesians, Portuguese, Chinese and Koreans.

The last visit we had as a family was last year but my daughter Rainier came back last June to attend the graduation of my nephew in Honolulu.

When we were here the last time, we visited Puunuu Park, Sealife Park, Hanauma Bay, Waikiki Beach, Oceanaria, took the submarine Atlantis and went on a sunset cruise! We even drove around Kaneohe bay and the H-3!

Here's a poem I wrote about Hawaii:

Aloha and Mahalo Hawaii
(Published by GUMIL Hawaii, 1997)

We were lured by your beauty:
the dancing of the waves
the swaying of the hips
of beautiful women
in long black hair.
We were charmed by your beauty:
the rainbows, the mountains
the sunset, the ocean,
the long stretches of white sand.

On television we saw
Japanese tourists in lei
of their mighty yen playing golf.
On magazines our eyes watched
the magical view of the Diamond Head.
Our eyes feasted on tanned
women in bikini.

We came:
We danced with the beat of your fast time
We swayed our hips inside buses
We surfed on the waves of people
We melted among Hawaiians
who were robbed of your beauty:
We picked up empty coke cans
on the long stretches of white
sand of Waikiki.

Waikiki Beach: where the tourists swim

I just found out on this latest trip that we had that there is actually a beach intended for children only. It is called the "Keiki" (children) Beach. It is located at the front of Ala Moana Center, exactly fronting Sears! Just go there with your children and you will feel secured and safe. There are about four life guards stalls, fully geared with ATV's, boards, and rescue accessories!

When we came here, July 2009, Sierra, my youngest daughter learned how to boogie board with her friends that she just met. She used to be afraid of floating on a board but seeing a lot of children doing it gave her more confidence. She even went deep water with the boogie board! (But, of course, I was constantly watching her!).

Diamond Head in the morning

I was told that the Diamond Head is called because some English captain thought that the sparkling stones found on the crater are diamonds! So, they started calling the mountain "Diamond Head!"

The view of the Diamond Head is so beautiful in the morning. I have to wake up at 5:00 in the morning to capture it's crowning beauty!

• Pros:Good food, good beach, good weather, hang loose people!
  • Cons:Expensive
  • In a nutshell:I love the Aloha spirit! The people are service-oriented! Love it!
  • Last visit to Hawaii (State of): Nov 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 8, 2012

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I have to visit here again. The island looks great. Laszlo

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Aloha Jo, Makaha is not for tourists. Haoles would be lolo to go to the cave. Locals do give the stink eye. BTW Rabbit Island looks like a Rabbit Head swimming in the water, even Keikis see that. Look again. lol Larry

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
      Jan 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM

You should come visit then, bradah! The more you have a reason to visit Seattle! Hope to see you soonest! Are you going to the Sibiu meet?

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
      Jan 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Aloha Jo. No can Subiu meet or anywhere right now. Tax time. Bumbye to Seattle. Hana Hou, Aloha 'oe. :-)

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed the delux tour w/you - great photos/detail. I've always favored the windward side. Really curious about that cave. Ciao, <(•¿•)>

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Great that three of your classmates became millionaires and ended up paying for your airfare and hotel accommodation in Maui and Lanai! I have looked at your first 30 Things to Do tips so far; will be back some other time for more.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2009 at 3:09 AM

Fabulous pages. Great tips. Our Hawaii vacation sure turned out differently than we had planned, but it's beauty will forever be in my heart. Thanks for showing me things I missed. Now I have to get back...

• jusdenise93's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2009 at 5:32 AM

great stuff! how could you do so much argh. its so hard to make a travelogue, i've barely started on my london page.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2009 at 7:28 AM

some unusual tips i've now chanced across - that guy with the mobile camera phone is going to get beaten up one day - hurrah !

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Hi JO, Hawaii looks great in your way! I liked your tips&photos. BTW thankyou for visiting my Izmir & Karsiyaka pages. Bora

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 7:07 AM

That is expensive for beer, the cruise ships in the med, you pay $6 for a cocktail.

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2009 at 10:04 PM

hawaii looks wonderful

joiwatani Used To Live Here!

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Hawaii (State of)

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?

Videos in Hawaii (State of)