"The Rome that I envisioned when I was younger" Rome by joiwatani
Rome Travel Guide: 12,301 reviews and 27,568 photos
The Colosseum was our first stop in our European tour. It was a very pleasant day with the sunlight seeping through the trees along the Colosseum drive. We were kissed and greeted by the chilly Roman air as we stepped out from our bus.
It was a very nippy morning when I visited the Colosseum with a bunch of high school students, who were still yawning, tired and sleepy from a 16-hour long trip. For me, it was more of a 24-hour long trip! Seattle-Chicago-Frankfurt-Rome.
The Colosseum was ours to see- we didn't have to share this famous historical architecture with any other tourists. We can enjoy this sight for two hours, at least, without disturbance or noise from excited visitors!
This is the next picture I took which turned out to be good. It was still very early in the morning and you can't see any tourists! It was an absolute treat for me to see this historical place. I studied this in my World History when I was in high school and I have never forgotten at all!
The Forum continues to fascinate me and the history that comes with it...
Things to check when you are in the Forum:
a. The House of the Vestal Virgins
b. The Senatus Populus Romanus
c. The Domus Augusta
d. The Temple of Antonino & Faustina
e. Find the etched checker board of the early Romans on the steps
The other things to do in Rome:
a. All you can eat pasta, spaghetti, oven-baked pizza, toasted baguettes with fresh olive oil, Paneretto, etc.
b. Visit the Trevi Fountain
c. Shop at the different old shops
d. Walk up and down the Spanish steps (Piazza di Spagna)
e. Watch the local painters' display of their best paintings
f. Listen to local musicians on the streets
g. Watch local artists
h. Watch the polizia chase after the illegal marketers selling fake Prada and Louis Vuitton purses.
i. Watch people celebrating occasions and throwing confettis
j. Read the graffitis on the walls and find out what people are up to writing on the walls!
k. Buy souvenir items but try to bargain: postcards, refrigerator magnets, scarfs, key chains.
l. Eat gelato
m. Throw a coin at the Trevi Fountain and make a wish (to come back, at least)
n. Visit the Rocca Di Papa (Summer Castle of the Pope)
o. Check out the Lago di Albano (White Lake)
p. Visit the Nemi
q. Visit the Lago di Nemi
r. Visit the Colosseum
s. Ride the horses manned by the Romans at the Colosseum
t. Ride a bike and feel the cobblestones against you buttom! (Smile!)
u. Treat yourself with a "tiramisu" at a nice restaurant
v. Shop at a local market/"mercato"
w. Visit the Marino
x. Visit the Castel Gandolfo
y. Swing by the Ariccia, Albano, Genzano, etc.
- Pros:A place I will have to come back again and again
- Cons:There is enough time and enough money to come back! (?)
- In a nutshell:I wish I could come back again and toss a coin on the Trevi Fountain!
The restaurant is just at the opposite of the main entrance of the colosseum ( I can't say at back of the colosseum... more travel advice
One thing that I noticed in Rome are the grafittis. It's like everywhere I go, there are grafitti's on the walls, walk... more travel advice
joiwatani's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 16 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
- Posted in Travel Province of New Brunswick Forum "Re: PROVINCIAL MEDICAL INSURANCE"
- Commented on one of MM212's Rome travel pages
- Wrote a Review What to do in Rome with a family in Rome Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Close to the Colosseum"
- updated a Rome Travel Page "The Rome that I envisioned when I was younger"
- Uploaded a Video to Rome
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues