"The Rome that I envisioned when I was younger" Rome by joiwatani

Rome Travel Guide: 11,964 reviews and 26,451 photos

The Colosseum

The Colosseum was our first stop in our European tour. It was a very pleasant day with the sunlight seeping through the trees along the Colosseum drive. We were kissed and greeted by the chilly Roman air as we stepped out from our bus.

It was a very nippy morning when I visited the Colosseum with a bunch of high school students, who were still yawning, tired and sleepy from a 16-hour long trip. For me, it was more of a 24-hour long trip! Seattle-Chicago-Frankfurt-Rome.

The Colosseum was ours to see- we didn't have to share this famous historical architecture with any other tourists. We can enjoy this sight for two hours, at least, without disturbance or noise from excited visitors!

The Forum

This is the next picture I took which turned out to be good. It was still very early in the morning and you can't see any tourists! It was an absolute treat for me to see this historical place. I studied this in my World History when I was in high school and I have never forgotten at all!

The Forum continues to fascinate me and the history that comes with it...

Things to check when you are in the Forum:
a. The House of the Vestal Virgins
b. The Senatus Populus Romanus
c. The Domus Augusta
d. The Temple of Antonino & Faustina
e. Find the etched checker board of the early Romans on the steps

The Trevi Fountain

The other things to do in Rome:

a. All you can eat pasta, spaghetti, oven-baked pizza, toasted baguettes with fresh olive oil, Paneretto, etc.
b. Visit the Trevi Fountain
c. Shop at the different old shops
d. Walk up and down the Spanish steps (Piazza di Spagna)
e. Watch the local painters' display of their best paintings
f. Listen to local musicians on the streets
g. Watch local artists
h. Watch the polizia chase after the illegal marketers selling fake Prada and Louis Vuitton purses.
i. Watch people celebrating occasions and throwing confettis
j. Read the graffitis on the walls and find out what people are up to writing on the walls!
k. Buy souvenir items but try to bargain: postcards, refrigerator magnets, scarfs, key chains.
l. Eat gelato
m. Throw a coin at the Trevi Fountain and make a wish (to come back, at least)
n. Visit the Rocca Di Papa (Summer Castle of the Pope)
o. Check out the Lago di Albano (White Lake)
p. Visit the Nemi
q. Visit the Lago di Nemi
r. Visit the Colosseum
s. Ride the horses manned by the Romans at the Colosseum
t. Ride a bike and feel the cobblestones against you buttom! (Smile!)
u. Treat yourself with a "tiramisu" at a nice restaurant
v. Shop at a local market/"mercato"
w. Visit the Marino
x. Visit the Castel Gandolfo
y. Swing by the Ariccia, Albano, Genzano, etc.

• Pros:A place I will have to come back again and again
  • Cons:There is enough time and enough money to come back! (?)
  • In a nutshell:I wish I could come back again and toss a coin on the Trevi Fountain!
  • Last visit to Rome: Feb 2009
  • Intro Updated May 17, 2009

• alza's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Hi Jo, Glad I just saw your Tourist Trap about cold hotel rooms and cold water in bathrooms. I'll think of that if I go there in winter... being cold inside (and cold showers) are things I can't stand. It seems even worse where you don't expect it. :)

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Hi Jo - Lovely Rome tour - Trevi is best at night - completely different and magical. Hope you do return and throw your coin next time. Ciao, Carol

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2009 at 7:25 AM

I fell in love with Rome on my first visit there, second time around it just got better. ;-)

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 7:16 AM

The smallest car I ever saw was similar to the Smart car - in Paris, 10 yrs ago. It parked between 2 parked cars without using its own bay..very "smart"

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Happy Birthday, Jo! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Rome, despite that freezing first night in the hotel. Fine photos of the Colosseum in your travelogues!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Would definitely not miss the Trevi and go to Colloseum early - and I have seen that graffiti in Rome in movies before - I think it's all around Italy? You got lots of great pics! Norman :)

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2009 at 11:31 PM

The eternal city is a real five-star tourist attraction if you do not take the cold shower into consideration. Best. L.

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Excellent start, telling it like it is. Looking forward to more. I adored my visit to Italy and love seeing it again - even if only in photos.

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Good Start on Rome Jo. I finally am getting around to my latest Roman visit. I have too much to catch up on and build from my latest travels....Phew...I'm exhausted.

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Rome