"The City of Pines & Salad Bowl of the Phils" Top 5 Page for this destination Baguio by joiwatani
Baguio Travel Guide: 328 reviews and 894 photos
This city is very famous because of its very cool climate. At one point, it was even considered the "Honeymoon Capital of the Philippines".
The weather is absolutely charming. Since the city is located up in the Cordillera mountains, perched over 6,000 feet above sea level, the weather is always very cool during the summer season. Early in the mornings, it gets very cold and foggy. The fog sometimes enveloped the outskirts of the city and it goes all the way to the city that sometimes you can't see the next person walking besides you.
And, as soon as the sun shines, you can see the mountain dew slowly disappears. The bright sun rays cascade piercing the pine trees and as it slowly goes up, the weather gets a little bit warmer .
Most newly weds come here for their honeymoon because of the cooler climate. When it gets so hotter and humid in Manila or the nearby provinces, the "lowlanders" drive to the city!
As they say, the city makes you get into the mood of loving!
The Panagbenga Festival (Flower Festival)
The government of the Philippines is promoting local tourism which is more sustainable than foreign tourism. So, they formalized their idea of bringing local tourists by having festivals. And, which is more but fitting than the flower festival! The city is very famous for its flowers anyway, so they might as well utilize it!
That's where the "Panagbenga Festival" (Flower Festival) started.
Baguio City has a lot of flowers. The cool climate is good for these flowers to grow. The city has different flowers that you can't find in the lowlands. I remember that in our dorm at St. Louis Universty's Cardijn's Hall where I stayed for over four years, the rooms were named in flowers from A-Z andI you can find all these flowers in Baguio City! Anthuriums, Begonias, Carnation, Dahlia, Everlasting, Fuschia, Gladiola, Hibiscus, Iris, Jasmine, Lilies, Magnolia, Nasturtium, Orchids, Petunia, Roses, Sylvias, ...There are also baby's breath, cala lilies, the long stem roses, baby's breath, morning bells, Spanish skirts.
There are many flower stores in Baguio at the back of Magsaysay Avenue and at Kayang Street. In the early morning, you will see truck loads of flowers being delivered to the lowlands to sell. The local farmers market these flowers to the different cities in the Philippines for weddings, funerals, and other occasions.
The local parks are beautiful in the city because of the silvia flowers, Spanish skirts flowers, verbenas, begonias, gladiolas and marigolds. They paint the city with different colored live plants!
It is best to explore the city of Baguio by foot. You can go down the famous Session road and Magsaysay street where there is an array of vegetable and street vendors. Go inside the market and bargain souvenir items from key chains to local woodcarvings. Go up Kayang street where you can find the best deals of food -from the locally grinded coffee beans (it's better than Starbucks, believe me!) to a bunch of bananas! Eat some "goto" (warm pooridge) at the corner of Magsaysay avenue and grab some peanut brittles as "pasalubongs" (gifts). The locally woven baskets and belts are inexpensive- that is if you know how to bargain. They last forever because they are made of rattan. Bring home some handcarved fork and spoons!
Places to visit in Baguio City:
Mines View Park
Camp John Hay
Asin Hot Springs
San Pablo Seminary
St. Louis University Silver Shop
Narda's Gift Shop
St. Louis University
University of Baguio
University of the Philippines
- Pros:The cool weather! Beautiful woodcarving, arts and crafts
- Cons:Local tradition is diminishing! Pine trees are being cut down!
- In a nutshell:I love Baguio City! It is a city you want to come back and visit each time!
Besides having your pictures taken in Igorot Costume, you are also donating some of your payment to the Senior Citizens... more travel advice
While I was changing to my Igorot Costume, my cousins and my aunts went to another stall and paid P80 ($1.50) to have... more travel advice
joiwatani's Related Pages
Baguio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BAGUIO CITY OF PINE TREES"
- "Baguio in Bloom"
- "tHe SUMMER CAPITAL OF PHILLIPPINES"
- "The City of Pines & Salad Bowl of the Phils"
- "City of Pines"
- "Baguio - The Flower City of the North"
- "Baguio, Summer Capital of the Philippines!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baguio
- Hotels in Baguio
- Transportation in Baguio
- Nightlife in Baguio
- Restaurants in Baguio
- Shopping in Baguio
- Warnings and Dangers in Baguio
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ghatsila Hotels
- Camberwell Hotels
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Hotels
- Steptoe Butte State Park Hotels
- Kuala Lumpur
- Fort Myers Beach Hotels
- Cumbayá Hotels
- Montecatini Terme
- Ho Chi Minh City
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Badges & Stats in Baguio
- 31 Reviews
- 162 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Baguio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baguio
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: OMG! Time flies! I have not..."
- Commented on one of joiwatani's Baguio travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Baguio Cathedral, Part III"
- created a Baguio Travelogue "Baguio Cathedral, Part III"
- Wrote a Review Help the Senior Citizens in Baguio!!! in Baguio Things to Do
Photos in BaguioSee All Photos (162)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues
Latest Baguio hotel reviews
- Kisad Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Hotel Veniz
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Supreme
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 24, 2013
- Hotel 45
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Venus Parkview Hotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 7, 2013
- Bloomfield Hotel
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Benguet Prime Hotel
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Inn Rocio
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- City Light Hotel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Microtel Inn & Suites Hotel
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- La Brea Inn
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Benguet Pine Tourist Inn
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 13, 2013
- Camp John Hay Manor Hotel
- 225 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Burnham Hotel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013
- Prince Plaza Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 1, 2013