"Bantay: Vigan's beautiful neighbor" Bantay by joiwatani
Bantay Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 21 photos
Bantay, Ilocos Sur is a small town close to Vigan City. This town is popularized more because of its Bell Tower that is perched on top of a hill. You can't missed it when you take the national highway going south of the province of Ilocos Sur. Bantay has also an elaborate church. The Bantay Catholic Church is beautiful. It was built during the Spanish period (1530s). The architectural design is influenced by the Europeans although it was built under the Spanish regime by the local people. This church was built through forced labor and slavery during the Spanish period.
You can't miss seeing the bell tower if you are heading North of the Philippines like Vigan, Laoag City or Paoay, Ilocos Norte. There is only one way to get to these places which is driving through the National Highway. And when you drive to this highway, you will definitely pass by Bantay, Ilocos Sur. It is a small town beside Vigan. The landmark of Bantay is its beautiful church and the bell tower. You know that you are in Bantay when you see to your right will be the bell tower - a three-century old bell tower- standing tall on top of a hill!
The residents of Bantay, Ilocos Sur are mostly Roman Catholics. Since the Philippines were colonized by the Spaniards for over 350 years, they converted most of the people to Catholicism. The Spaniards built so many churches throughout the region. Every bigger town in Ilocos Sur has huge cathedral churches and bell towers.
I haven't heard the ringing of the bell tower of Bantay. I am not sure whether the church people still use it to call people to go to church. In the old days, the bell towers in most Catholic Churches in the Philippines were rang daily by the "sakristans" (priests' assistants) early in the morning at six o'clock to call people to go to church. Then, the bell is rang again at night at six o'clock at night to remind people to pray.
- Pros:Nice small town's landmark
- Cons:No other place to visit except the church and the bell tower!
- In a nutshell:When you go to Vigan, you can't miss this landmark!
joiwatani's Related Pages
Bantay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Spiritual & historical visit to Bantay,Ilocos Sur"
- "Bantay: Vigan's beautiful neighbor"
- "Bantay, Ilocos Sur - Close to Home"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bantay
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Bantay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bantay
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues