"The fast growing city in the Asian Region!" Cebu City by joiwatani

Cebu City Travel Guide: 492 reviews and 1,474 photos

Most pop destination among Asian merchants

Cebu City is very popular nowadays because of the YouTube's rendition of Michael Jackson's Thriller by the inmates of Cebu prison! ! It has been watched seven million times all over the world!

But even before the YouTube sensation, Cebu City is a popular destination. It is popular among Asian businessmen because of its maritime industry. It is also popular among local tourists because of its natural beauty!

I was in Cebu City in 1989 for a job interview of my husband as an Assistant Country Director of Plan International. We travelled all over the city to check on all the on-going projects of Plan International, a non-profit organization.

Previously, I was in Cebu in 1981. It was one of those one-day stop over of the ship that my mother and my siblings boarded. The ship, Sulpicio Lines, stopped over Cebu to get more passengers going to Davao City.

I stopped by the city to buy Otap to bring home as 'pasalubong' (gifts) to my family.

One day stop over in Cebu City

My mother and I usually stop by Cebu City to buy Otap. Otap is some pastry popularized by Cebuanos. It is like a cookie with some sugar crystals on top of the cookie!

P.S.This is an old picture here. This was taken in 1981 - the summer I graduated from St. Louis University's Political Science Department. I met some friends on board the Sulpicion Lines' ship and we ended up being the neighbors in Kidapawan, North Cotabato. This was the last summer I had seen my uncle who died last year. I have not seen him since then.

• Pros:Definitely a place to come back to!
  • Cons:I don't have enough time to explore the city!
  • In a nutshell:The government of Cebu is cleaning up the system, figuratively and literally speaking!
  • Last visit to Cebu City: Jul 1989
  • Intro Updated Nov 16, 2011

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Tnq Jo, for B-day wishes, very nice of you, and for being a friend. I have been once in Cebu, for sure to return once again, bye, cya, greets Roy

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Cebu City

Have you been to Cebu City?