Irosin Things to Do Tips by joiwatani

Irosin Things to Do: 6 reviews and 19 photos

Eating fried fish with rice - Irosin
Eating fried fish with rice

I am not sure about you but I love eating with my bare hands when I eat fried fish with rice! There's nothing like feeling the rice in my hands and taking out those tiny bones of the fried fish!

Up in the mountains of Irosin Sorsogon, I was offered to eat a bowl of rice (their bowls are made of coconut shell) and fried fish. There was also the leaves of the cassava sauteed in coconut milk and seasoned with hot pepper.

Fresh "Buko" (young coconut) juice - Irosin

Fresh "Buko" (young coconut) juice

Eating coconut and drinking "buko" juice

Irosin's major crops include copra (coconut), Manila hemp and rice. Just travelling around the Bicol region, you will see coconuts everywhere. So make sure that you experience drinking the "buko" juice and eating the coconut meat!

The new Lourdes Grotto - Irosin

The new Lourdes Grotto

Visit the grotto close to the Irosin Church

Twenty years ago, my habit was to climb to the top of the hill close to the church and watched and listened to the hush and bash of this sleepy town. During my last visit, I was surprised that the hill has changed!

To my surprise, the people of Irosin put a grotto on it. I am not sure if I like it or not.

Before it was just a hill where you can sit down and contemplate at the end of the day. It was nice before because it was just plain hill overlooking the town.

Address: Irosin, Sorsogon, Philippines

Directions: You have to go to the church in Irosin. On the right side of the church, there's a hill and new cemented steps that lead to the Lourdes Grotto

Climb the Bulusan Volcano! - Irosin
Climb the Bulusan Volcano!

After climbing Mayon Volcano in Legazpi City, there's another volcano to climb! It's the Bulusan Volcano! The volcano is not that high but it is treacherous to climb. There are sharp stones and rocks on the side of the volcano!

The hike here is long. It took us about four hours to hike. By the time that we got to the foot of the mountain, I struggled every minute of the hike. I was running out of breath! So, I decided to just rest at the Bulusan Lake.

Address: Irosin, Sorsogon

Directions: It is about 30 minutes drive from the town.

• Updated Oct 10, 2010
Thinning a Manila hemp - Irosin

Thinning a Manila hemp

Learn how to slice a Manila hemp to dry!

I learned to cut a raw Manila hemp and slice it thin to dry. In this picture, I had to sit down and slice a Manila hemp.

Manila hemp is one of the products of Irosin, Sorsogon. After drying this for weeks, the local residents tie them together and bring them down to the town proper. The middleman sells them to a Chinese businessman. The Manila hemp is used for making ropes. The local residents sometimes weave them to make baskets, purses, place mats and hats to sell to tourists in Legaspi City and Naga City.

Address: Irosin, Sorsogon

Directions: It is about four hours bus ride from Legaspi City and 13 hours bus ride from Manila.

• Updated Oct 10, 2010
Just about ripe santol - Irosin

Just about ripe santol

Have you tried eating "Santol"?

One of my favorite fruits in the Philippines is called "Santol". They are not available in the United States. But, in Irosin, there's plenty of them! I asked Ronnie, my foster brother, to go get me some as I have not eaten one in twenty years after having been in the United States for a long time and not visited Irosin. He came back after few minutes and got me a bagful of santol (sorry, not sure what's the English word for this fruit).

The fruit is smaller than my fist, about the size of medium size red potato but circular and brown in color. You have to remove the skin and eat the meat of the fruit. There are four seeds on it that are big. Most of the time when I eat it, I soak or dip it with vinegar with salt. (That's how Filipinos eat them). They are sour and sometimes sweet!

• Updated Sep 15, 2010

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Irosin