Vigan Transportation Tips by joiwatani
Vigan Transportation: 42 reviews and 44 photos
You have to catch a bus in Vigan to Laoag City then board another bus in Laoag City enroute to Claveria, Cagayan. Mostly buses that are independently operated are usually standing by in Laoag City waiting for their passengers to go to Claveria, Cagayan.
I don't think there is a direct bus that goes directly from Pagudpud from Vigan.
There are many transportation going to Vigan from Baguio City. You can take Partas and or Viron. These are the buses that directly bring you to Vigan City.
You can also take buses that are bound only to San Fernando or Bauang, La Union. Then from Bauang, you can catch more buses to Vigan (those buses coming from Manila: Farinas, Partas, Viron, etc.
When I went home to Ilocos Sur last year, I took the Partas bus from Cubao. They have newer fleet and they stop at excellent restaurants with cleaner bathrooms!
First of all, the Partas Bus Line have different prices depending on which bus you are going to take. There is the deluxe airconditioned bus and their is also the regular bus. Either way, it's up to you to decide which one to take. But before you choose, remember how long it will take you to get to Vigan. The buses have many stops. They basically stop in every city or town that they have a bus station.
Second of all, there is one reason why I like Partas. It's not about the price or the service. It's the connection of the owner of Partas! Partas is owned by Chavit Singson, a kingpin of the Ilocos region. When a Partas breaks down on the way, you know that you can hop in to the next bus because they have the most numbers of fleet going to the Ilocos Region.
Also,for safety reason. The bus stations of Partas are heavily guarded especially in Manila (sometimes not in uniform) and you know that you and your luggages are safe. You won't hear any complaints of a lost luggage. Nobody would dare to mess up with the Singson's.
Riding a caritela in Vigan
In front of the Divine Word College in Vigan or in front of the Vigan Hotel, there are caritelas or horseback ridden carriages. These guys are waiting for tourists or local visitors to go inside the Villa Hernandina (that part of Vigan where the roads are made of bricks). As per City Ordinance, the caritelas are the only once allowed to get into the brick roads! Tricycles (motorcycles with cabs or the local transport) are not allowed to go there including other vehicles).
The caritela drivers charges 150 pesos per trip to go around the brick road but this fee does not include if you ask them to wait for you while you shop at the souvenir stores.
You should make a deal/contract with the caritela drivers first before you hop in. During low season (not a lot of visitors (rainy season May, June, July, August, Sept, Oct), not a lot of visitors come visit Vigan, so you can bargain to the drivers. Sometimes, I was told, that they don't have passengers in so many hours. These caritela drivers wait in line to get their own customers!
For us, I bargained for 75 pesos "just to look around" and gave the driver a tip for waiting for us while shopping!
Caritela and tricylce
It is best to take the tricycle when you don't have a car. If you have a lot of time, then it is best to ride on a caritela (carriers pulled by horses). Make sure to deal with the driver first and ask how much the fare cost before boarding. Bargain if you can! There are no fix prices so have fun in bargaining the price!
More Reviews (26)
- See All On a tight budget trip to Vigan, Ilocos...
- Travel time of San Fernando to Vigan
- See All Aniceto Mansion & Tourist Inn &...
- See All Buying religious items
joiwatani's Related Pages
Vigan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "vigan if i can ..."
- "Vigan - that "Spanish" feel.."
- " Nostalgia at VIGAN"
- "Back to the 16th century Ilocos"
- "The oldest city north of the Philippines"
- "The Heritage City of Vigan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vigan
- Hotels in Vigan
- Transportation in Vigan
- Nightlife in Vigan
- Restaurants in Vigan
- Shopping in Vigan
- Warnings and Dangers in Vigan
- See All...
Explore the World
- Canoa Quebrada Hotels
- Terrigal Hotels
- San Salvador
- Priory Hotels
- Beacon Rock State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Vigan
- 31 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Vigan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vigan
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: OMG! Time flies! I have not..."
- updated a Vigan Travel Page "The oldest city north of the Philippines"
- Wrote a Review Vigan transportation to Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte in Vigan Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Caritas of Vigan"
- Commented on one of screamcheese's Vigan travel pages
Photos in ViganSee All Photos (99)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seattle Intro, 192 reviews, 1701 photos, 163 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 236 reviews, 1087 photos, 57 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 89 reviews, 696 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 100 reviews, 468 photos, 10 travelogues
- Puerto Rico Intro, 82 reviews, 354 photos, 19 travelogues
- Isla Cozumel Intro, 59 reviews, 312 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 100 reviews, 265 photos, 4 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 24 reviews, 296 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 51 reviews, 265 photos, 14 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 11 reviews, 279 photos, 28 travelogues