"Dreams come true" Europe by joiwatani

Europe Travel Guide: 699,841 reviews and 1,879,783 photos

Personal History

When I was very young I dreamt of becoming a pilot so I can travel the world. But, as time flew, that dream was slowly unreachable as I was affected by family's economic crisis, the government turmoil in the Philippines and most of all, I didn't realize that to become one you have to be a good swimmer and have great eyesight! I have poor vision and at one point, I was considered legally blind. I can't swim either. Although I was surrounded by water, I was scared to swim then. My grandparents told me there were mermaids in the ocean and they might come and get me! (Growing up I was considered "Law-law" (pronounced as Lao like Laotian. This Iluko word means always galivanting. They have to scare me so I won't be going out to the beach!)

Now, I am fulfilling those dreams! I don't have to be a pilot to travel the world!

Two times I was invited to go to Europe but everytime, I was broke.

The first opportunity I had was to present a paper to the Women's International Convention in Geneva in 1992. My co-presentor went but I wasn't able to afford it. I was a starving student at Ohio University! Instead, I presented my paper on female circumcision during the International Developments Conference in Washington, DC.

The second opportunity I had was when my daughter Shelby went to join the Romantic EF Tours. I signed up for it but then again, I was not able to afford it. So, my daughter went with her classmates.

The third time, I was able to go. And, it wasn't that especial as I thought. So, I might probably go back to Europe with my family so I can enjoy better!

My European Trip

My European Trip last February 2009 was okay but not that great. I was homesick with my family! It is so amazing that once you have children, your lifestyle changes. And, so with my travel lifestyle.

I used to travel by myself and now, I feel like I am empty without my children by my side. I love travelling with them although they give me so much problems! (like "Mom, I needed to pee!" or "Mom, I am hungry!", "Mom, can you please buy me this?").

Although I travelled with children in Europe, they were not my own children! These were bunch of teenagers!

My next European Trip

I am saving some money to go back to Europe! This time, I will bring my children and my husband. We are looking forward to travelling to Norway where Erik's mother was from. We will go there and visit his family!

Also, we will travel to different countries and give myself more time to plan. We wanted to visit Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Norway, France, Italy, Croatia, Great Britain, Scotland, Sweden, The Netherlands, etc.

• Pros:Great visit to historical places
  • Cons:Not enough time and not with family
  • In a nutshell:I will definitely go back to Europe and bring my family!
  • Last visit to Europe: Feb 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 25, 2009

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 6:39 AM

yup, forgot my adapter to Europe but found one for about $45...should have bought at home...cheaper!

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Good advice or you can litterally blow up your electrical goods.

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Badges & Stats in Europe