"Dun Laoghaire - Gate to Dublin" Dun Laoghaire by bwk_michael
Dun Laoghaire Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 83 photos
Dún Laoghaire (anglicised spelling Dunleary) (the original Irish spelling is now almost always used in preference to the anglicised forms) is an Irish suburban seaside town and major port of entry from the United Kingdom. It is situated some 12 km (7 mi) south of Dublin city centre and it is the administrative centre of the county of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown with a population of 194,038 (2006 census).
Dún Laoghaire was once part of the borough of Dún Laoghaire, and remains the only town in Ireland to have its own Vocational Education Committee. It is considered part of the Greater Dublin Area.
The town had been officially renamed Kingstown in 1821 in honour of a visit by King George IV, but reverted to its ancient Irish name by resolution of the town council in 1921, one year before Irish independence. The name derives from its founder, Laoghaire, a 5th-century High King of Ireland, who chose the site as a sea base from which to carry out raids on Britain and France. 'Dún' is an Irish word meaning 'fort'. King Laoghaire is famous for having allowed Saint Patrick to travel the country and preach Christianity.
Dún Laoghaire was hit by a stray German bomb during World War II, the bomb landing near the Peoples Park at Rosmeen Gardens. Damage from the bomb was limited to buildings
The Irish singer and African activist Bob Geldof was born in Dún Laoghaire and has strong connections with the area. Many famous personalities live in nearby Dalkey, including singer Chris de Burgh and many members of the rock band U2.
bwk_michael's Related Pages
Dun Laoghaire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to Ireland"
- "Dunleary (Dun Laoghaire)"
- "Dun Laoghaire - Gate to Dublin"
- "Dun Laoghaire - a town swallowed by a city"
- "Dun Loaghaire"
- "Dun Laoghaire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dun Laoghaire
- Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
- Transportation in Dun Laoghaire
- Nightlife in Dun Laoghaire
- Restaurants in Dun Laoghaire
- Shopping in Dun Laoghaire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dun Laoghaire
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Dun Laoghaire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dun Laoghaire
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos
- Wareham Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos
- Rostock Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Mamallapuram Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Ottawa Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Goa Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Sofia Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Bali Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Buxton Intro, 1 review, 8 photos