"Mother of all Temples" Besakih by bwk_michael
Besakih Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 32 photos
The Mother Temple of Besakih, or Pura Besakih, in the village of Besakih on the slopes of Mount Agung in eastern Bali, Indonesia, is the most important, the largest and holiest temple of Hindu religion in Bali,and one of a series of Balinese temples.
This Mother Temple is actually a complex made up of twenty-two temples that sit on parallel ridges. It has stepped terraces and flights of stairs which ascend to a number of courtyards and brick gateways that in turn lead up to the main spire or Meru structure, which is called Pura Penataran Agung. All this is aligned along a single axis and designed to lead the spiritual person upward and closer to the mountain which is considered sacred.
The main sanctuary of the complex is the Pura Penataran Agung. The symbolic center of the main sanctuary is the lotus throne or padmasana, which is therefore the ritual focus of the entire complex. It dates to around the seventeenth century.
A series of eruptions of Mount Agung in 1963, which killed approximately 1,700 people also threatened Puru Besakih. The lava flows missed the temple complex by mere meters. The saving of the temple is regarded by the Balinese people as miraculous, and a signal from the gods that they wished to demonstrate their power but not destroy the monument the Balinese faithful had erected
Each year there are at least seventy festivals held at the complex, since almost every shrine celebrates a yearly anniversary. This cycle is based on the 210-day Balinese calendar year.
It had been nominated as a World Heritage Site as early as 1995, but remains unvested.
bwk_michael's Related Pages
Besakih Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Besakih - The Mother Temple"
- "Besakih Temple"
- ""thanks for your respect!""
- "Pura Besakih: The mother temple"
- "Mother of all Temples"
- "BESAKIH : A BEAUTIFUL TEMPLE WITH UNWANTED DRAMA"
- See All...
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Besakih
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Besakih?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Besakih
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos
- Wareham Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos
- Rostock Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Mamallapuram Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Ottawa Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Goa Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Sofia Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Bali Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Dun Laoghaire Intro, 1 review, 8 photos