"Snow Monkey Park" Yudanaka by Jawnuta
Yudanaka Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 19 photos
Making our way from Shirokawa-go village to Tokyo we decided to stop at Jigokudani Yaen-Koen Snow Monkey Park next to Yudanaka spa town in Nagano.
We arrived to the town around noon. As direction we plug in 08269-33-5722 phone number into our GPS (or as we call it Navi-geisha).
The road from Yudanaka to the Monkey Park is very narrow, but totally drivable in a dry summer day (closed in the winter time). Drive slowly, watch the upcoming traffic (mirrors placed on every curve help a lot) and it is perfectly safe.
On the end of the road will be paid parking lot (around $5) and little refreshment stand.
Park your car, put some UV sun screen on you, good shoes, hat and wet towel and head following the signs to the Monkey Park. After hiking for about 15 minutes (easy trail, full of senior citizens and little children, but no strollers) you will pass the Koraku Kan onsen and you will arrive at the entrance of the park, where you will purchase your entrance ticket ($5).
Right after passing the ticket booth you will be surrounded by monkeys. They will be everywhere. Some will not pay attention to you, some will watch you just as much as you will watch them.
One thing for sure...despite overwhelming stench and millions of jumping fleas, you will have a great time and would want to stay there and stare at the monkeys for entire day, so bring plenty of cold water with you to drink and wet your towel.
Jigokudani Yamanouchi-machi Shimotekai-gun,
- Pros:Monkeys rule!!!!
- Cons:hot and smelly
The road from Yodanaka town to Jigokudani Park is narrow and windy but perfectly safe if you are driving slow and... more travel advice
We did not stay here as it was expensive and we wanted to spend the next night closer to Mt. Fuji and Tokyo, but we took... more travel advice
Jawnuta's Related Pages
Yudanaka Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Yudanaka
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Yudanaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yudanaka
Photos in YudanakaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Szczecin Intro, 39 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Crete Island Intro, 32 reviews, 149 photos
- Siteia Intro, 17 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Morelos Intro, 18 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chania Intro, 18 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rethymno Intro, 19 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ericeira Intro, 8 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Estado de Quintana Roo Intro, 35 reviews, 25 photos
- Anafi Island Intro, 9 reviews, 50 photos
- Madrid Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos