"Historic Downtown Geneva on The Fox River" Geneva by Janes_finds
Geneva Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 14 photos
I visit Geneva, IL frequently. It is a quaint historic town located on the Fox River in Kane County. It is less than 2 miles from St. Charles and 2 miles east of the Kane County Fairgrounds. It was settled in the early 1800's and is rich with shops and history. There is many local lots that offer free parking as well as street parking. Geneva has about 4 large festival's a year including Swedish Days (that celebrates Geneva's Swedish heritage) which is usually the 2nd or third week in June. There is also the Festival of the Vine in September that offers wine tasting and a Taste of Geneva set up located on State St. It is nearby a train station which makes it much easier when traveling from Chicago to Geneva.
Geneva is a hidden treasure of shopping and fine dining. You can easily spend a day in Geneva, even when there is no festival. There is lodging available. The Herrington is a 5 star hotel that has a long wait list. The town has also had its share of celebrities. JFK delivered a speech on the Kane County courthouse lawn located on 3rd St. 2002's Road to Perdition with Tom Hanks was filmed here. One of the Beach Boys lived in Geneva. Davy Jones of the Monkees performed a concert on 3rd St. recently And a big name in magic currently resides in Geneva. A town with quite a history!
- Pros:Great Eateries & shopping, walking to most places, ample parking in free lots, festivals...
- Cons:Some of the stores are on the pricier side and the town focuses a lot on 3rd St when there are more stores on State St. It may be confusing as brochures have many of their listings and festivals on 3rd St.
- In a nutshell:A great quiet little downtown to spend the day!
Graham's actually has 2 locations just doors from each other on Third St. One locations specializes in handmade... more travel advice
Everytime I visist Geneva now, I have to go to Mister Kitschy. This odd little shop opened just about a year ago and... more travel advice
Geneva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quaint Little Geneva"
- "Historic Downtown Geneva on The Fox River"
- "The Herrington Inn & Spa: A Luxury Boutique Hotel"
- "On the Western Edge of the Chicagoland Area"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geneva
- 5 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Geneva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geneva
No friends yet.