"Waterford" County Waterford by sangietair

County Waterford Travel Guide: 303 reviews and 755 photos

Oldest City in Ireland

We thought that during our four day stay in Dublin we would hire a car and drive down to Waterford. I thought it would be interesting to see the Waterford Crystal Centrer - world famour for its hand-crafted, cut glass products. I wanted to do the 30 minute tour and see the craftsmen at work, demonstrating their unique techniques on how the cutting, polishing, blowing and engraving on the glass is all about. There is also the opportunity to burn a whole on your purse/wallet if desired (not cheap) in the Gallery. Unfortunately, we missed the last factory tour, being held at 16:15. I didn't do my full homework as I didn't think we would be able to do this drive. We did managed to walk around its sophisticated shopping centre and around its pleasant surroundings.

We didn't manage to see very much in Waterford, in our short visit, it rained and rained and rained.

More rain...!

Waterford was founded in 914 AD by the Vikings and built Irelands first city. There is much to see here, such as examples of 18th century architecture, medieval monuments and ecclesiastical landmards.

As well as being famous for its Crystal, for those music lovers... there is a wide variety of musical and theatrical traditions that live on in many of the city's venues. It is the birthplace of William Vincent Wallace, Irelands famous composer. Waterford hosts the International Festival of Light Opera every year in September at the Garter Lane arts Centre.

Most Holy Trinity

I'm glad I managed to go inside Irelands oldest Catholic Cathedral in John Roberts Square, named after it's designer. Built in 1793, this Cathedral has undergone a few refurbishments in the past, both on the interior and exterior, included was the restructuring of the sacristy. The Most Holy Trinity for me didn't have the gothic structure that you would find in most Cathedrals, it holds 10 Wateford crystal chandeliers that adds enhancement to it's beautiful bright and colorful decor inside, it is truly a wonderful Cathedral. So vibrant!

Mass was about to start so we tip toed out quickly and quietly.

• Last visit to County Waterford: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 16, 2007

Comments

sangietair

“Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do today!”

Badges & Stats in County Waterford

Have you been to County Waterford?

Latest Activity in County Waterford