"Teledude's Boulder" Boulder by Teledude

Boulder Travel Guide: 242 reviews and 333 photos

Gateway to the REAL Rockies

Boulder sits at the true gateway of the Rockies. Drive up Canyon through Boulder and up the long and windy road through millions of years of geologic history. Watch rock climbers on warm days stretching their limits high above you. See kayakers plying their padling skills on Boulder Creek. Stop at Boulder Falls to see the cascades of snowmelt. At the top, in Nederland, you get your first glimpse of the Rocky Mountain's grandeur. As you gaze across Barker Resevoir your eyes fix upon the snow covered Indian Peaks and the possibilities start to become realities. This is it! You say to yourself in a not so subtle way. This is why you came to Colorado...

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

When I talk of Boulder, I talk of the City of Boulder-almost in the exact center of the county. Boulder county has many outlying cities but for me, real Boulder consists of Boulder Proper-within city limits and to the west of the city. To the east are some remnants of rural farms but mostly consists of continuously sprawling suburban areas. There are some nice flat hiking trails out there and especially if you've got horses but I'm here for the mountains, so I stay near them and that means the city of Boulder and the mountains, just a short walk from downtown.

Well my old home town of Boulder, there sure have been some changes going on here! Some new places have gone up and some have disappeared. It's all relative to how long you've lived here I guess. I've only been since '95. So the things I miss may have been new for those who've lived here long before me.

I used to be so proud to say I was from Boulder but sometimes, I'm not so sure. It seems most of what I went to Boulder for is still there...the mountains, trails and for the most part, nature, but the city has lost much of it's youth and funkiness. I'm sorry to report it's just another (albeit beautiful) Front Range town with all the problems of everywhere else...too much development, too many people and loss of true community. That said, it remains a far better place to live than most places in the country...

• Pros:Stunningly gorgeous, world class skiing, biking, hiking right in your backyard
  • Cons:Traffic, Crowded, Pricey
  • In a nutshell:Great place to visit anytime and to live-if you can afford it
  • Last visit to Boulder: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 8, 2007

Teledude Lives Here!

Teledude

“Speak from the Heart, not from the Tongue - M. Franti (Spearhead)”

Badges & Stats in Boulder

Have you been to Boulder?

Latest Activity in Boulder