"Yamagata-ken" Yamagata-ken by Teledude

Yamagata-ken Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 66 photos

Home...

First off, it's true I live in Yamagata-ken but in a small village in the western part of the ken called Asahi-mura. The whole region where I live is called the Shonai region or plain. Don't bother looking on the map...it's not there. Asahi-mura's population is about 3000 in town and 6000 total spread out over a great area. It's the largest village in the prefecture with the fewest people. Which suits me fine. It's very mountainous and lush with the industry mainly consisting of rice farming. The people are amazingly friendly and even though I speak very little Japanese, I get by alright. I am learning the language quickly as anyone does living in an area where you are in the extreme minority but I wished I had studied a little more. Also, the local dialect is hard to understand for people living outside of the region.

• Pros:The people are amazingly kind! Mountainous, quiet, good mixture of tradition and modern comforts
  • Cons:Summertime heat and humidity
  • In a nutshell:True Japanese living
  • Last visit to Yamagata-ken: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 3, 2004

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2004 at 6:58 PM

Bungy jumping?! Never thought you'd find it in Japan!

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2003 at 3:29 AM

I am one of your fans here, waiting to read & get to know more about where you are living now, Scott, and.... how you are doing! bes/elisabeth

• Janni67's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2003 at 2:30 AM

I just loved this page! This is the best part of VT, learning abot places you've never even heard of! Just made me wonder what are you doing over there..?

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2003 at 8:38 AM

What lovely place. Your travelogue’s pics are amazing.

• Sep 12, 2003 at 1:45 PM

Hmm...Sounds interesting. Tell me more, tell me more...

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2003 at 8:28 PM

no woman .. no crime ^..^, I like that. great infos dude, thanx for sharing

Teledude

“Speak from the Heart, not from the Tongue - M. Franti (Spearhead)”

Badges & Stats in Yamagata-ken

Have you been to Yamagata-ken?

Latest Activity in Yamagata-ken