"Folegandros, The Unspoiled Beauty" Top 5 Page for this destination Folegandros Island by dimilag
Folegandros Island Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 103 photos
Tell people that you're off to Folegandros and you're likely to get one of two reactions: from many, quizzical expressions, but from those who know this island, envious glances. Folegandros has one of the most perfect capitals of the islands.
The small Island of Folegandros, has become fashionable, but it is still an untouched piece of true Greece. On account of the simple and relaxing atmosphere that reigns all around the island we like to distinguish it as the "island of Peace".
What catches the eye immediately is the endless series of "dry-placed" walls that have been erected over the centuries by the inhabitants to create terraces on the sunny slopes of the territory to be able to raise cereals. The Chora, closed to car and motorcycle traffic, has a unique "center" of three squares in a row, with trees under which to enjoy a drink or food in a quiet, romantic atmosphere. In the gentle breeze passing through the small streets you may feel the perfume of lime trees or of the local bread. Bougainvillea and hibiscus color the small wooden balconies around the Kastro (XIII century). The church of Panaghia, on the top of a hill, offers a nice walk and a magnificent view of the Chora and of the west coast.
Based on various researchers, Folegandros got its name from Folegandros, son Minoas, king of Crete. The local administration of the island has the shape of Folegandros on its official municipality stamp. The island used to be a refuge area for those who were hunted down from Crete. There is of course another version about the name of the island. According to this version, the name was a result of the passing of the Phoenicians from it and the corruption of the Phoenician word "phelekgundari" which means rocky land and this attributes exactly the morphology of the island.
I HAVE ALMOST COMPLETED MY FOLEGANDROS ISLAND PAGE. PLEASE ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY TO MY PAGE.
It is situated next to the beach, so it was easy for us to visit this nice tavern after the bath. It serves good... more travel advice
The "Folegandros Festivities" summer festival started in 2003. Since then it has been organized around the middle of... more travel advice
dimilag's Related Pages
Folegandros Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ":: Folegandros ::"
- "Folegandros, The Unspoiled Beauty"
- "Folegandros - The island of Peace"
- "Still untouched island"
- "Dramatic landscape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Folegandros Island
- Hotels in Folegandros Island
- Transportation in Folegandros Island
- Nightlife in Folegandros Island
- Restaurants in Folegandros Island
- Shopping in Folegandros Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Folegandros Island
- 32 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Folegandros Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Folegandros Island
Photos in Folegandros IslandSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos
- Lesvos Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Rethymno Intro, 57 reviews, 57 photos
- Milos Island Intro, 50 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thessaloniki Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Rethymno Intro, 36 reviews, 46 photos
- Skiathos Island Intro, 48 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Chalkidiki Intro, 60 reviews, 5 photos
- Samothraki Island Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folegandros Island Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos