"Mytilini, the Capital of Lesvos" Mytilini by dimilag
Mytilini Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 10 photos
The main gate to Lesvos is via its capital Mytilene, currently populated by about 30.000 inhabitants. It is one of the oldest towns in the Aegean Sea with a rich historical and cultural past, founded in early 10th Century B.C. Resent excavations have revealed ruins from all its periods – archaic, classic, Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine and they also show that it was built on seven adjoining hills.
It spreads amphitheatrically within two ports and with many neoclassical buildings adorning the neighbourhoods, right across the coastline ending at the airport. Some of these renovated buildings house various civil services such as the Ministry of the Aegean, the Court of Justice, the District of the North Aegean, the Prefecture etc.
When approaching Mytilene by the sea at first glance you are attracted by the view of the sprawling Castle and the Statue of Liberty towering over the port. Notable historical monuments such as the Ancient Theatre can be found all over the city. The theatre was built on the pine clad hill of Agia Kyriaki at northwest of Mytilene during the Hellenistic period with a seating capacity of 15,000 and perfect acoustics. According to tradition, the Roman Emperor Pompey during his visit to Lesvos decided to build one just like it in Rome.
Nowadays Mytilene is a vibrant, busy city, living a modern life to the full with high numbers of the younger generation due to the 3000 University students, studying at the University of the Aegean. It has a busy town centre with its associated traffic challenges and variety of shops catering to diverse requirements.
FOR TIPS ABOUT MYTILINI PLEASE VISIT MY LESVOS ISLAND PAGE
dimilag's Related Pages
Mytilini Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mytilene - the island of Lesvos !"
- "Mytilini, the Capital of Lesvos"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mytilini
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Mytilini?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mytilini
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos
- Lesvos Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Rethymno Intro, 57 reviews, 57 photos
- Milos Island Intro, 50 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thessaloniki Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Rethymno Intro, 36 reviews, 46 photos
- Skiathos Island Intro, 48 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Chalkidiki Intro, 60 reviews, 5 photos
- Samothraki Island Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folegandros Island Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos