"Skiathos Island, The Jewel of Sporades" Skiathos Island by dimilag
Skiathos Island Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 294 photos
Skiathos Island is situated in the middle of the Aegean Sea, opposite Mountain Pilio and it is the westernmost island of the North Sporades Islands. The island lies 41 nautical miles from Volos. It has an area of 48 sq km, a coastline of 44 km and a population of 4,200. It is a cosmopolitan island, maintained picturesque and tranquil.
Tiled roofed, white washed houses, amphitheatrically built, rugged coasts, golden beaches, planes and pine trees are some features of Skiathos. The mountaintop, which has a communications tower, is to the west. The slope of the hill is to the north and contains several valleys. Skiathos has approximately 70 beaches including one nudist beach at south end of the island (Banana beach).
The island has become internationally known, thanks to its two famous authors, Alexandros Papadiamantis and Alexandros Moraitidis.
The name of the island dates back to ancient times. Skiathos took part in wars against the Persians and in 478 BC, became a part of the Athenian Alliance. Later was occupied by Alexander the Great and then by the Romans. During the Byzantine period it sank into oblivion. In 1204 was conquered by the Venetians and in 1583 by the Turks. It was then that the inhabitants of the old town, built on the site of present-day Skiathos, abandoned it and constructed on the north side of the island the famous Kastro, perched on a nearly invisible rock. During the Greek War of Independence of 1821, many warriors from Thessaly took refuge on the island. Skiathos was liberated in 1823. In 1830, the local people, left the historic Kastro and rebuilt Chora. Skiathos was one of the unknown paradises to be discovered.
Life in Skiathos has changed a great deal since those days. Luxury hotels slowly began to be built along its lovely sand beaches, tourist activity continually grew and Skiathos became one of the most cosmopolitan islands in Greece. But its celebrated beaches are still insuperable and the narrow lanes of Chora are still as picturesque as ever.
It is an all day bar situated at Vromolimnos beach just next to the sea. It also serves light snacks and spagetti. more travel advice
La Piscine Palace Art Hotel is a completely new hotel on the beautiful Island of Skiathos. Located in the centre of... more travel advice
dimilag's Related Pages
Skiathos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skiathos Island"
- "Sunny Skiathos"
- "Skiathos - small cosmopolitan greek island"
- "SKIATHOS ISLAND YOU WILL WANT TO RETURN"
- "Evangelistria Holy Monastery"
- " SKIATHOS - Sporades"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skiathos Island
- Hotels in Skiathos Island
- Transportation in Skiathos Island
- Nightlife in Skiathos Island
- Restaurants in Skiathos Island
- Shopping in Skiathos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Skiathos Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Skiathos Island
- 48 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Skiathos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skiathos Island
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos
- Lesvos Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Rethymno Intro, 57 reviews, 57 photos
- Milos Island Intro, 50 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thessaloniki Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Rethymno Intro, 36 reviews, 46 photos
- Skiathos Island Intro, 48 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Chalkidiki Intro, 60 reviews, 5 photos
- Samothraki Island Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folegandros Island Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos