"A Visit to Rouen" Rouen by dimilag
Rouen Travel Guide: 461 reviews and 1,185 photos
The capital of Normandy, Rouen is a centre of industry and commerce; it is the fifth largest port in France and the closest one to Paris, split, like that city, into a right and left bank area by the River Seine. Rouen is also one of France’s most historic cities; William the Conqueror died here in 1087 and in 1431 it was the stage for the trial and execution of Joan of Arc. She was burned at the stake in the Place du Vieux-Marché (the Old Marketplace); the position is still marked by a huge bronze cross. Allied bombing largely destroyed the city; all of its bridges and many of its great churches were ruined, however substantial investment has been focused on restoring parts of the city to its former medieval glory.
In 1920, Joan Of Arc was canonised by the Catholic Church and declared a national heroine by the French Parliament. This monument to Joan was built in 1979 with this dual role in mind. The church is dedicated to St. Joan, whose feast day is on 30th May and the civil monument commemorates the national heroine who is celebrated by France on the second Sunday in May. In Rouen, the Fête Jeanne d'Arc is held every year on the Sunday closest to 30 May.
Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Rouen is probably best known by being immortalized by Monet in a series of Impressionist... more travel advice
Gustave Flaubert was born in the director's quarters of the Rouen Public Hospital where his father was the director. At... more travel advice
dimilag's Related Pages
Rouen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rouen : both a modern and a medieval city."
- "Fantastic Rouen"
- "See the Flamboyant Gothic Churches"
- "ROUEN - CAPITAL OF NORMANDY"
- "My Rouen Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rouen
- Hotels in Rouen
- Transportation in Rouen
- Nightlife in Rouen
- Restaurants in Rouen
- Shopping in Rouen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rouen
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Rouen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rouen
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos
- Lesvos Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Rethymno Intro, 57 reviews, 57 photos
- Milos Island Intro, 50 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thessaloniki Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Rethymno Intro, 36 reviews, 46 photos
- Skiathos Island Intro, 48 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Chalkidiki Intro, 60 reviews, 5 photos
- Samothraki Island Intro, 25 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folegandros Island Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos