"P.O.S. Rally" Fort Stockton by Spacemanspiff
Fort Stockton Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 79 photos
Jim (Travmad) and I stopped here on our cross country trip in the spring of 2003. I flew into Northern California after wintering in Hawaii. Jim flew out west and we bought a 1977 Mercedes 240 D in San Francisco for the trip across. As we were leaving Frisco the local paper had an article about the cross country race made famous in the movie "Cannonball Run", Apparently they are still competing every year. Blasting across the country in exotic sports cars setting new speed records. It occured to me that we were doing just the opposite, driving an antique 4 cylinder diesel possibly setting a record for slowest crossing.
We paid $600.00 for the car plus some new parts (a tire, brake pads, a window etc.). Reading this article the Idea of the P.O.S. Rally was born.
As Jim and I were the only entrant this year and we were making it up as we went I'm not sure we managed to win the race but we did finish and we came up with some basic guidelines for a future POS Rally.
The older the vehicle the better.
The smaller powerplant the better.
Most National Parks visited. Most State lines crossed. Film Camera evidence required.
Sounds like a traveloge on VT rather than a race or anti race.
Imput and ideas are welcomed.
- Pros:You have to stop for a Pisano Pete photo
Spacemanspiff's Related Pages
Fort Stockton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Fort Stockton Page"
- "Texas's Gateway to the West!"
- "WFTR's new Fort Stockton Page"
- "10eke's new Fort Stockton Page"
- "Fort Stockton"
- "P.O.S. Rally"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Stockton
- Hotels in Fort Stockton
- Restaurants in Fort Stockton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fort Stockton
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Fort Stockton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Stockton
Photos in Fort StocktonSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Key West Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isla de Ometepe Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Saint George's Island Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Dry Tortugas National Park Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pennsylvania Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arizona Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Malibu Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Granada Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- San Juan del Sur Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Bluemont Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (12)
Latest Fort Stockton hotel reviews