"Moalboal" Moalboal by JackNixon

Moalboal Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 57 photos

Free Diving & Spearfishing near Moalboal

I'm really into free diving and spearfishing so I decided to incorporate the two with my holiday. Luckily I found these two Austrians who lived and worked in the Philippines who also shared the same passion so we met up in Cebu.

Christoph was really nice by picking us up from the airport and driving us to Moalboal. The actual journey to Moalboal was really beautiful. The route was windy roads covered by dense jungle on either side. As we crossed Cebu from East to West we ascended up the steep hills.

Eventually we arrived at www.clubserenaresort.com where we had already booked the room. Our “tree house” room was absolute luxury. It was clean, very well presented, and had a 360 degree view of the surrounding vicinity. At Club Serena we met Wolfgang who would be my free dive trainer and take me out of Moalboal to go spearfishing.

The next day Christoph, Wolfgang and I did deep dive training which involved descending on a thick rope to the deep depths of the ocean on, but only using your breath. Initially the bottomless deep blue of the sea is very intimidating. However, after a while you soon forget about the depths and what lies beneath and just chill out. I managed to do 23 meters which was okay considering I had not done this before. With a little bit more training I could have probably done a lot more. Later on we then did static training in the pool. This involves breathing exercises and then trying to hold your breath for as long as possible. I managed 4.02 minutes which I a was very happy with.

The following day we set out for our spearfishing trip. Have a look at the video of the day out. The person behind the camera is my lovely wife.

Please note: the spearfishing that we do is a very ecological method of catching fish. I don't use scuba, I shoot very few fish and the fish that I shoot are not protected and I eat what I catch.

Free diving course at Club Serena Resort, Moalboal

• Last visit to Moalboal: May 2008
  • Intro Written Jun 30, 2008

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Moalboal

Have you been to Moalboal?

Latest Activity in Moalboal