Phumi Siem Reab Local Custom Tips by Aidy_p
Phumi Siem Reab Local Customs: 10 reviews and 28 photos
Modern Meal with Fork and Spoon
There was a burning question that was running in my mind. So I asked my driver about it. In Asia, we do not generally use fork and spoon as this comes from the western culture.
The traditional Malays use their hands, while the chopsticks are used by Chinese. So what do the Cambodians use? My driver, Thara explained that farmers use their hands to eat their meals. They would wrap their food in lotus leaf and bring it along with them to their farms and padi fields.
Other Cambodians usually make use of a spoon or chopsticks, while the fork was only a recent addition to their cutlery set.
Keep It Half Full
It's been a couple of days that I'd noticed the service staff pouring drinks. They have never poured it to the brim and I wondered why.
So I asked my driver and wahlah! I got the answer. One of the reasons is that they do this to ensure that the drinks does not spill over when the guest brings the cup to the mouth. It is also out of courtesy.
No wonder when a waitress accidentally spilled my drinks, she was totally apologetic to a point where it felt that this incident should not have happened at all.
More Reviews (22)
- See All Fill em' Up
- If Serenity Is The Thing For You
- See All A Market North of Psar Char
- See All Looking For a Dead Fish
Aidy_p's Related Pages
Phumi Siem Reab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to Angkor Wat"
- "The city behind Angkor"
- "Siem Reap - Nearest Town to Angkor"
- "IMPREXXION: SIEM REAP-ANGKOR"
- "Good morning, Siem Reap"
- "SIEM REAP – Siam Defeated…"
- "Gateway to Angkor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Phumi Siem Reab
- Hotels in Phumi Siem Reab
- Transportation in Phumi Siem Reab
- Nightlife in Phumi Siem Reab
- Restaurants in Phumi Siem Reab
- Shopping in Phumi Siem Reab
- Warnings and Dangers in Phumi Siem Reab
- See All...
Explore the World
- Little Gasparilla Island Hotels
- Marseille Hotels
- Pulau Sangiang Hotels
- Isla de Tenerife
- Lake Sampaloc Hotels
Badges & Stats in Phumi Siem Reab
- 24 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Phumi Siem Reab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phumi Siem Reab
Top 10 Pages
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 60 reviews, 84 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 44 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Batam Intro, 25 reviews, 38 photos
- Perth Intro, 25 reviews, 37 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos
- Johor Bahru Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos
- Kukup Intro, 26 reviews, 31 photos
- Singapore Intro, 24 reviews, 32 photos
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- Melaka Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos