"My Algarve" Top 5 Page for this destination Algarve by Balam
Algarve Travel Guide: 2,316 reviews and 6,246 photos
In the far South of Portugal the Algarve was the last part or portugal to be conquered from the Moors in 1292. Because of this late date there are many traces of the Moorish occupation which can still seen in the Algarve's somewhat unique architecture with it's fancy chimneys terraces and whitewashed houses.
In the northern part of the Algarve, the hills of Espinhação de Cão, Monchique and Caldeirão shelter the coast from strong winds. This brightly coloured region, with its fig trees, orange groves and almond trees in blossom, is also the most verdant and fertile. The southern coastline consists of a long stretch of fabulous sandy beaches, broken up by extraordinary rugged cliffs and fantastic grottoes like Praia da Rocha and lovely Fishing Towns like Alvor which is certainly my favourite.
Apart from the large choice of water sports facilities (the new marinas of Portimao and Lagos, amongst the various ports and harbours), there are many other alternatives for the sports enthusiast such as tennis courts, famous golf courses and many luxury hotels, quaint holiday resorts and exciting nightlife.
Towns like Silves take you back to a time when the Algarve was under Moorish occupation. A fantastic time of Knight Crusaders and the building of majestic castles or Lagos were portugal started it's age of exploration and don't forget Albufeira which is certainly the Tourist capital and a great party time.
Back in the 13th century it would have taken quite a lot of time to cover the distance from Lisbon to the Algarve covers but thankfully this is no longer a problem due to the new Lisbon-Albufeira motorway (IP1).
the area is also coverd by Faro international airport.
- Pros:Sun, Sand, Sea, Wine, Food, Beer, Views, Castles
- Cons:None yet
- In a nutshell:I Love it.
The beaches on the Algarve are very good and are really clean but you need to do your bit to keep them that way. If... more travel advice
In Portugal the best drink of choice is wine. Red wine is the favorite (and of course Vinho do Porto has to be number... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Algarve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Exploring Portugal's southwest corner"
- "My Algarve"
- "Algarve - The West"
- " A romance with Algarve"
- "Exploring a beautiful coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Algarve
- Hotels in Algarve
- Transportation in Algarve
- Nightlife in Algarve
- Restaurants in Algarve
- Shopping in Algarve
- Warnings and Dangers in Algarve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Algarve
- 185 Reviews
- 618 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Algarve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Algarve
Videos in AlgarveSee All Videos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 365 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos