"In Search Of The Minotaur" Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island by Balam
Crete Island Travel Guide: 1,429 reviews and 3,725 photos
Our base was Gouves on the north coast of Crete Island and to the east of Heraklion, this municipality spreads from the lovely beaches a few kilometres inland to the fertile fields and picturesque villages that cling to the different hills.
In recent years tourist development has been very marked in this area of Crete due to its wonderful beaches and to its vicinity being close to Heraklion in the west and Chersonissos a few kilometres to the east. Gouves covers an area of 9496 ha with a population of 5000 people.
Half bull, half man, the Minotaur was the most fearsome monster of ancient times. Its horns were sharp as knives, its great hooves could kick the life out the strongest of heroes, and its food was human flesh. The Minotaur lived in the labyrinth, a great maze of winding passages on the island of Crete. Each year seven youths and seven maidens were sent from Greece as food for the beast.
One year, Theseus, the greatest of the Greek heroes, said he would go to Crete and fight the monster. "Let me go as one of the victims," he said to his father Aegeus. "I'll kill the Minotaur and free Greece from this peril." Aegeus was unsure. He remembered how others had promised to slay the beast and had ended up dead. But Theseus insisted. Soon his ship was rigged with black sails, which was the custom when Greeks were sailing to meet their doom. "Watch out when I return," said Theseus. "I will hoist white sails to show that I've succeeded."
Theseus' ship arrived at the harbour of Knossos, near the palace of King Minos of Crete. The king's daughter, Ariadne, saw the ship. Soon the Greek hero and the beautiful Cretan girl were talking, and, before they knew it, the pair were in love. When Theseus told Ariadne that he was going to kill the Minotaur, she decided she would help him. She knew that even a hero would get lost in the winding passages of the labyrinth. So she gave him a ball of thread. "Unwind it as you go in, then you will be able to find your way out again by following the thread," she explained. So Theseus entered the dark, winding labyrinth, undoing the thread as he went.
Soon he heard the bellowing beast, and as he walked on, the roars got louder and louder, until Theseus was at the centre of the maze and face to face with the monster. Now the hero could see the glint in the beast's eyes. He could hear the rumble of its breathing. He could even feel the warmth of his breath as the creature crouched in its lair. Theseus paused, waiting for the best moment to attack. As the creature turned his back, Theseus sprang, plunging his sword into the beast's flesh. The Minotaur gave out one last bellow, and breathed its last. Theseus found his way out of the maze using Ariadne's thread and sailed quickly back to Greece to tell his father that he had succeeded. But Theseus was so excited that he forgot to hoist his white sails. When Aegeus saw his son's ship rigged with the black sails he feared the worst. The old man, despairing, flung himself from the cliff into the seas, and perished beneath the waves. Theseus had won his victory but lost his father, and was sad at heart for many a long year.
- Pros:A great Island with lots to do
- Cons:You need a few weeks and a car to see everything
Crete produces a very wide range of herbs and spices which are availible in local Markets and shops. All these herbs... more travel advice
Around the Morozini fountain in Iraklion here are some very nice looking cafe's some of which specialize in Bhougatsa... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Crete Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In Search Of The Minotaur"
- "The REAL and IDEAL PaRaDiSe!"
- "Alternative Crete."
- "Crete - the place to be"
- "1 week, 1100 kilometres"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crete Island
- Hotels in Crete Island
- Transportation in Crete Island
- Nightlife in Crete Island
- Restaurants in Crete Island
- Shopping in Crete Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Crete Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Crete Island
- 85 Reviews
- 210 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Crete Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crete Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Manchester Christmas Markets..."
- Commented on one of Evenith666's Crete Island travel pages
- updated a Crete Island Travel Page "In Search Of The Minotaur"
- Uploaded a Photo to "In Search Of The Minotaur"
- Wrote a Review Driving in and Out of Heraklion about Driving on Crete in Crete Island Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Video to Crete Island
Videos in Crete IslandSee All Videos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 90 reviews, 345 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 41 reviews, 176 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos
Latest Crete Island hotel reviews
- Aldemar Knossos Royal Village Crete
- 406 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Louis Creta Princess Hotel
- 262 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Dassia Chandris Hotel
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Creta Maris Hotel
- 411 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Matala Dimitris Villa And Apartments
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013
- Aquis Vasia Beach Hotel
- 629 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Glaros Beach Hotel
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Mitsis Hotel Rinela Beach
- 959 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Golden Beach Hotel
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Royal Mare Village Hotel
- 271 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Kyknos Beach Hotel & Bungalows
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Sensatori Resort
- 1476 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Grand Hotel Holiday Resort
- 375 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Kernos Beach Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Kalia Beach Hotel
- 125 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013