"Ashton" Ashton under Lyne by Balam
Ashton under Lyne Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 111 photos
Long before the Norman Conquest of 1066 there were people living around what is now Ashton, on the north bank of the River Tame overlooking a good crossing-point on the river there was once a fortified area which guarded the old boundary between the kingdoms of Northumbria and Mercia.
Just to the north of this where St Michael's Square is now a settlement appeard and the site of the fortification eventually becoming what was The Old Hall.
A church was built and the new town granted permission to hold a Market and over the centuries Ashton developed itself into a small market town with Wool spinning as the main industry and sheep farming in the surrounding hills. At first a small amount of coal mining took place nearby but the coming of the canals bode well for Ashton and it became the junction of three canals. Manchester and Ashton canal, Huddersfield Canal and the Peak Forest Canal.
Coal mines of the area began to supply the then new factories in Manchester and the canals enabled the coal mines to increase their output due to the ease of delivery.
Ashton is now a busy town that is proud of it's heritage and has many museums showing off it's history.
The Earl of Stamford and Warrington sold the land to the Buckley family who owned the cotton mills at Ryecroft In 1849.... more travel advice
The Barracks was originally built to house cavalry regiments in times of Civil unrest. The barracks were the... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Ashton under Lyne Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ashton under Lyne
- Nightlife in Ashton under Lyne
- Restaurants in Ashton under Lyne
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ashton under Lyne
- 13 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Ashton under Lyne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ashton under Lyne
Photos in Ashton under LyneSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 90 reviews, 345 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 41 reviews, 176 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos