"Inderawuda" Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley by Balam
Beverley Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 167 photos
Beverley was originally known as Inderawuda. it was founded by Saint John of Beverley during the time of the Angle kingdom of Northumbria.
After being under Viking occupation the town passed into the hands of the Saxons where it became much more prominent in terms of its religious importance in England.
When the Normans came the towns trade and industry increased and it became a place of pilgrimage throughout the Middle Ages
Beverley was once the 10th largest town in England and amongst the richest,
We visited Beverley after spending a couple of days in Brugge via the Ferry from Hull which is only 20 minutes away. It was snowy when we visited but not to cold so we managed to have a good look around.
In the Middle Ages there were weekly markets in Beverley, Originally the market was held in the south of the town, in a... more travel advice
Beverley has not got nor never has had a town wall but in the 15th century there were Bars (Gates) at Newbegin, Norwood,... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Beverley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beverley - county town of East Yorkshire"
- "Slowly losing it's character"
- "Yorkshire's best kept secret?"
- "A Real Hidden Gem"
- "One of Britain's best kept jewels"
- "Beverley - Good For A One-Night Fling"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beverley
- Hotels in Beverley
- Transportation in Beverley
- Nightlife in Beverley
- Restaurants in Beverley
- Shopping in Beverley
- Warnings and Dangers in Beverley
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beverley
- 6 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Beverley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beverley
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 360 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos