"Bolton" Bolton by Balam
Bolton Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 197 photos
Bolton is a large town in the north of England in the county of Greater Manchester I went to college here when I was 18 (just one day a week) and apart from passing through with work etc had never really gone back to look around shops etc until VTer Myfanwe was staying at my house after the Manchester Christmas Markets meet and Myself, Myfanwe and Mickeyboy07 went for a look around and I was pleasantly surprised with the town centre and places of interest.
Although historically Bolton is a part of Lancashire when county's were changed and Greater Manchester formed, Bolton along with towns like Bury, Oldham and Rochdale officially became a part of Greater Manchester at least officially as most people still class themselves as living in Lancashire. Bolton started as a small settlement on moorland called Bolton le Moors.
During the English Civil War (1642 -1651) Bolton became a Parliamentarian outpost within a region that was mostly loyal Royalists, so In 1644 Bolton came under attack by over 3000 Royalist troops Under Prince Rupert (Count Palatine of the Rhine, Duke of Bavaria) This was a very bloody attack that became known as 'The Bolton Massacre' and resulted in 1600 townsfolk being killed and a further 700 taken prisoner.
Bolton like most towns in the area is a former mill town with cloth being produced here since the 15th century when Flemish weavers settled in the town and started off a wool and cotton weaving tradition and during the Industrial Revolution the Town grew rapidly coming to a peak in 1929 when Bolton had 216 cotton mills. Although mostly industrial looking there are some examples of its older Medieval heritage in some of the Buildings like Ye Olde Man & Scythe public hose on Church approach and the lovely Smithills Hall and Hall i' th' Wood just outside the Town.
- Pros:Quite lot to do in and around if you look!
- Cons:It's a bit wild on weekend nights
Situated on the 1st floor of the same building that houses the Library and the Aquarium, the Museum has a great Ancient... more travel advice
Smithills Hall dates back some 800 years although there was probably a house on the site from at least 700ad and there... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Bolton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bolton born and bred"
- "A Weekend Around Bolton"
- "Bolton - Home of the Pheonix Club"
- "Bolton Pics"
- "Home town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bolton
- Hotels in Bolton
- Transportation in Bolton
- Nightlife in Bolton
- Restaurants in Bolton
- Shopping in Bolton
- Warnings and Dangers in Bolton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bolton
- 4 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Bolton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bolton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 91 reviews, 350 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 44 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes (Island) Intro, 57 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos