"Bridgend" Bridgend by Balam
Bridgend Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 77 photos
Bridgend (Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr) is a town in the County Borough of Bridgend in South Wales. It is roughly at the halfway point between the cities of Cardiff and Swansea.
The river Ogmore is crossed by the original bridge that gave the town its name, but the River Ewenny also passes south of the town.
After the Norman conquest of England in 1066, the English king looked westwards to create new seats for lords loyal to William The Conqueror and Groups of Norman Barons arrived in Wales creating what would later become the Welsh Marches in the south and east, whilst the north and some of the west remained largely unconquered due to the harsh terrain and fierce opposition.
At Coity a local Welsh chieftain called Morgan Gam had already built a stronghold and during the 11th century The Norman Lord Payn de Turberville approached Morgan to turn over control of Coity Castle to de Turberville. Morgan Gam agreed, but only if de Turberville either fought Morgan for the land, or took Gam's daughter Sybil's hand in marriage. Turberville married Sybil becoming Lord of Coity.
In the early part of the 12th c Newcastle Castle which is on Newcastle Hill overlooking the town centre and Ogmore Castle were built by Robert Fitzhamon and William de Londres respectively. Then some 2 miles north-east of Ogmore Castle Maurice de Londres founded the fortified Benedictine Ewenny Priory in 1141.
These three castles provided a "defensive triangle" for the area which was further strengthened when Ewenny Priory was Fortified by William de Londres's Son Maurice.
At Coity a local Welsh chieftain called Morgan Gam had already built a stronghold and during the 11th century The Norman... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Bridgend Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birdgend - town modernising with service"
- "You can smell the sea air from here..."
- "Quaint market town in Southern Wales (UK)"
- "Mmm Interesting Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bridgend
- Nightlife in Bridgend
- Restaurants in Bridgend
- Shopping in Bridgend
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bridgend
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Bridgend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bridgend
Photos in BridgendSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 360 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos