"Bangor" Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor by Balam
Bangor Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 234 photos
Bangor in Welsh means a wattled fence because this type of fence once surrounded the monastic community which once lived here.
The origins of this small city date back to the founding of Bangor Cathedral by the Celtic Saint Deiniol some time in the early 6th century AD.
The present cathedral is a more recent building that has been extensively modified over the centuries and while the building itself is neither the oldest or the biggest in the 'bishopric' of Bangor it is one of the oldest in Britain.
Another of Bangor's claim's to fame is that Bangor allegedly has the longest High Street in Wales.
Having a University and a Cathedral makes Bangor the only city in Gwynedd but is only a small city with only about 14000 residents but it is still a city provides the facilities that meet its title.
The population becomes further swelled as the university students arrive in the academic terms and Bangor takes on an extra buzz, with a cosmopolitan feel and because of the Students it has some fantastic sports facilities a great little shopping, culture and of course many bars, restaurants making for a great atmosphere.
I have been visitying Bangor because my son is at University there and is now in his 2nd year.
The Abbey Hotel is situated right in the city centre on the High St. Because of it's location it is going to be quite... more travel advice
This was probably the best Pound shop ever, far better than any we have in oldham or Manchester, it is certainly great... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Bangor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangor - A University Town"
- "Bangor, aye!"
- "Beautiful Bangor"
- "Lets get started"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangor
- Hotels in Bangor
- Transportation in Bangor
- Nightlife in Bangor
- Restaurants in Bangor
- Shopping in Bangor
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangor
- 47 Reviews
- 147 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Bangor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangor
Photos in BangorSee All Photos (147)
Videos in BangorSee All Videos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 365 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos