"A City of History" Top 5 Page for this destination Chester by Balam
Chester Travel Guide: 487 reviews and 1,248 photos
Chester has a rich heritage from over 2000 years of history. The Romans founded a Garrison here on the River Dee called Deva and stayed for over 300 years.
The Saxons and the Normans built upon the Roman remains making a much larger town building larger walls around it and gracing it with a fine Abbey and a Castle.
After that came The Rows, Half tinbered houses of Medieval merchants built over stone cellars and linked by galleried walkways. In Tudor times Chesters Abbey became a Cathedral and during the Civil war in the 17th Century Cromwells cannon balls rained down on the city for 18 months causing a lot of destruction.
Thankfully Chester recovered and during the 200 years that followed new streets were built in Georgian, Gothic and Classical styles until these were overshadowed by the Victorians passion for the medieval half timbered style and Black and white became the most prominate colours blessing Chester with it's own unique look.
Today the well preserved streets are visited by over 6 million people each year.
They come for the heritage, lively atmosphere the shops and more.
- Pros:Lovely Buildings, Great Pubs. just Far to many to mention
- Cons:It can be crowded in the summer
- In a nutshell:It's a great City that is well worth a visit
Chester Station is probably about a 10 minute walk from the city centre. There are quite a few shops on the concourse as... more travel advice
You don't have to spend loads of money, just walking around and looking at the different types of Architecture can take... more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Chester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE ROMAN CITY OF DEVA"
- "A City of History"
- "In Search of Romans"
- "Roman Chester"
- "Enchanting Chester"
- "Black (and White) Beauty Chester"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chester
- Hotels in Chester
- Transportation in Chester
- Nightlife in Chester
- Restaurants in Chester
- Shopping in Chester
- Warnings and Dangers in Chester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chester
- 35 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Chester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chester
Photos in ChesterSee All Photos (130)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 94 reviews, 365 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos