"A Spectacular Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Conwy by Balam
Conwy Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 592 photos
Conwy renowned for its medieval Castle and mostly complete town walls is certainly one of the gems of The United Kingdom, with it's picturesque harbour that sits on the estuary of the River Conwy spanned by Thomas Telford suspension bridge. Both the castle and the Town walls are a World Heritage Site with the castle itself being one of the most impressive examples of mediaeval military architecture that you will find. The circuit of Medievil town walls are just over three quarters of a mile long and and are guarded by 21 towers at regular intervals of about 46m. The walls are 1.68m thick and 9m high, The towers are15m high iat their highest and externally it would have presented a continuous stone face and would have been formidable to any would be invaders.
Today Conwy is only invaded by tourists and is a busy town with nice shops and many ancient buildings that sit comfortably among more recent builds, there is a lot of things to see and do.
Of course at the top of the list (and the Town) is the Castle, closely followed by Plas Mawr, A true architectural gem which is probably the finest surviving Elizabethan town house you will find anywhere in the UK. Or the Oldest House in the TownAberconwy House which is a 14th C merchant's house probably the Oldest house in Wales, built by the same craftsmen that constructed the castle and using the same stone.
Down on the quayside There is the famous smallest house in Britain which was once the home of a Fisherman who was 6' 3" tall.
You can visit the Conwy mussel museum, take a boat trip on the river or walk around the RSPB reserve which even if your not that interested in birds is a lovely walk.
This is a nice friendly pub with a games room, a large tap room lounge and a Beer garden at the rear. The last time I... more travel advice
great fish and chips available from here to eat in the Restaurant or to take away and eat like we did, on the Quay side. more travel advice
Balam's Related Pages
Conwy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Conwy - North Wales"
- "A Spectacular Town"
- "Another Town, Another Castle"
- "Magical Conwy"
- "a fine walled city"
- "Enchanting Conwy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Conwy
- Hotels in Conwy
- Transportation in Conwy
- Nightlife in Conwy
- Restaurants in Conwy
- Shopping in Conwy
- Warnings and Dangers in Conwy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Conwy
- 19 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Conwy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Conwy
Videos in ConwySee All Videos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 93 reviews, 360 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alvor Intro, 76 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wales Intro, 62 reviews, 244 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 206 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prefecture of Heraklion Intro, 58 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangor Intro, 47 reviews, 147 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oldham Intro, 48 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 35 reviews, 130 photos